THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Trail/Street Bikes(pedal power) :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trail/Street Bikes(pedal power) :D

Hey

I've been thinking about getting a bike to ride and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what to buy. Just looking for a general all around decent bike for some offroad(nothing hardcore) and asphalt trails!

Been so long since I've riden a bike I have no idea what is good/bad/etc. What should I look for in features, helmets, accessories, etc?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a bicycle this year. I didn't want anything really cheap, but nothing expensive either.
I ended up with a Specialized Hardrock. Disk brakes. (people like disks for offroading because they work when they get wet). Suspension fork (not really necessary, but it's kinda nice).
It's mostly an asphalt trail bike, so I had some Serfas Drifter tires put on. More of a street tire, but still plenty of tread for any casual offroading.
It was about $450, and the tires were $30 each, so nothing fancy.

One thing I can say, is if you are gonna buy a bike from a reputable bike shop, make sure the bike fits you. Like... make sure the top tube isn't gonna hit your boys if you have to step off quick. That's one mistake I made, but I was bargain shopping.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Asphalt trails... I get thoughts of road rash just thinking about it!!

The above is a good suggestion to a low-mid price range bike. I'm partial to Specialized and Giant. Really good bikes. Definitely get disc brakes and I'm guessing they will all have some form of suspended front fork. The $700-1000 range is what really gets into what I would consider well-equipped bikes.

When you go to your local bike shop, just try a few. If they don't let you ride it around, just leave. Don't buy one based on sitting on it and not moving.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Coyote, Specialized hardrock or rockhopper!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice roger
i've got a diamondback that i'm particularly fond of and it rides well. i paid about 500 for mine - disc brakes, 100mm front suspension travel, hard tail aluminum frame, kenda klaw tires, all parts are anodized to prevent corrosion, etc. great bike for light trails and roads.
iirc i have a diamondback response XE.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
something else

I have a Gary Fisher Marlin and I love it, even tho it's like 8 years old. But it's a awesome all around bike IMO.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Cant go wrong with specialized, kona, or norco....basically anything thats not a department store brand, by the sounds of it something like a front suspension All Mountain class would suit you perfectly, and still allow room for improvement and more aggressive riding without needing a new bike a year or so down the road
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would look into a used bike....a lot of people drop big money on bikes and never use them. the most important and expensive parts are the components...derailers, crankset, brakes, wheels etc. i prefer shimano to sram...and get at least lx series parts.

as for shocks...air or spring will both suit your needs...air is lighter but not as rugged.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I have...total street bike though, not really intended for offroad. They have this "foot forward" technology where the crank isn't directly under the seat, it's actually set forward a few inches, so you can get your legs comfy without jacking the seat all of the way up. The bike's really cool, it's all satin black with 21 gears...total cruiser though...I need to ride it more often

(pics from the web, not my bike, but close)

Quick Reply: Trail/Street Bikes(pedal power) :D