THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

For the true dog lovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good info, there are so many sites out there with contradicting information about what is/isn't safe for dogs to consume, that it's hard to make an informed decision. I'd love to start my dogs on a food plan similar to this. Any sources of info?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kr1s
I recently started my golden retriever on chicken leg quarters and raw eggs with the shell
Could you give me a quick example on what a diet should look like when feeding raw?
I know some people fast on sun
I've heard of the fasting too, but not sure I will do it. Not yet anyway. I will have to gauge the dogs intake and see.

I feed the egg boiled with shell, they won't eat it RAW, idiots!

Source for info? That is tough, I can try to link you to something.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chizwizdiz
This is good info, there are so many sites out there with contradicting information about what is/isn't safe for dogs to consume, that it's hard to make an informed decision. I'd love to start my dogs on a food plan similar to this. Any sources of info?
I am feeding 2.5% of their body weight in daily food, for now, but it will take you some time to get it right! May have to subtract or add, some foods may not do so well, etc.

Some say veggies and fruits are pointless, some say they are good. My dogs love them, so I included it with the beef blends.

I linked a website in my original post to where I buy my stuff from.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very interesting stuff, how did you judge what percent veggies you use mixed with the meat?

Did you base your guesstimates off the BARF website when you blended that all together? I definitely want to look at transitioning off the crap I feed my pero now. My dog literally will eat anything with hardly any problems, and if your spending the same amount of money on better quality of food, then thats definitely a selling point too.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought 1 bundle of celery, 2lbs of carrots, 2 lbs of cucumbers, 3lb bag of apples (de-seed, and remove stem!), bushel of bananas, 2lbs of green beans. All advised from someone already feeding this. I didn't really do much research on amounts. Just took her word.

That being said, you don't have to feed veggies or fruits, and you could pretty much put what you wanted in there. I mixed all the above with the 10lbs of beef blend, put them in the quart bags about 60% full, smashed them flat, and froze them. That is broke into thirds when it is defrosted, and given to each dog. So right now they get 2 chicken backs and 1/3 of the frozen bag. That is the entire day.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I bought 1 bundle of celery, 2lbs of carrots, 2 lbs of cucumbers, 3lb bag of apples (de-seed, and remove stem!), bushel of bananas, 2lbs of green beans. All advised from someone already feeding this. I didn't really do much research on amounts. Just took her word.

That being said, you don't have to feed veggies or fruits, and you could pretty much put what you wanted in there. I mixed all the above with the 10lbs of beef blend, put them in the quart bags about 60% full, smashed them flat, and froze them. That is broke into thirds when it is defrosted, and given to each dog. So right now they get 2 chicken backs and 1/3 of the frozen bag. That is the entire day.
I have a 65-70lb boxer that gets a good amount of exercise a week. 3ish days a week of running or the dog park. I think I'll try all of the above and just see what I get. It has to be better than the purina ive been buying.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, the only exercise mine get are when they chase each other around the back yard, or chase the neighbors dog up and down the fence line.

I recommend you do some sort of research, I don't want to come off as an expert.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texasglock23
True, the only exercise mine get are when they chase each other around the back yard, or chase the neighbors dog up and down the fence line.

I recommend you do some sort of research, I don't want to come off as an expert.
No and I definitely will, I'll probably go by a few local places this weekend to see what the opinion is also. BARFs website makes a valid point about including veggies, fruit, as well as meats to receive all the nutrition. I just want to make sure I am getting a good % of mixture and not letting it be like a super high protein diet.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Great info, have been considering some different options for my Lab and golden. Golden is currently on TOTW Pacific Stream and the Lab is on Hills Perscription Diet CD (it's for urinary health).

I wonder if this would be an ok switch for my lab. They found a stone in her bladder during her second surgery and that's why they put her on the CD.

Either way your RAW meal has to be cheaper than what I am doing now. The cd alone is over $70 for a 35 pound bag
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

$70, **** that! How long with that bag last you?

Quick Reply: For the true dog lovers