THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

the truth about retail auto parts stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great rant, my only complaint is when I go to either chain store to purchase my motor oil (royal purple) or fuel treatment (Lucas) I get pissed when they try and sell me on the brand on sale..."oh this works better and its a dollar cheaper." yeah right asswipe you said that about Lucas a month ago when it was on sale! Pisses me off.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Sometimes u just have to find a store and one person, and thats who u deal with, or use the internet, but the downside with that is warranties r kind of a pain...
Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Teching In

That doesnt make sense... If ur gonna buy rp and amsoil, why would someone want to talk u into dino oil sale??? Its a commision job
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Corporate also puts out sell challenges to meet a quota or a perk item that puts a few dollars on the check... I usually ignore that..
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Ive used all the injector cleaners we sell, i cant tell a difference... I just stick with seafoam now
Old 08-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

I dont get it either but every time I go to Autozone they do this. And it's the same line everytime just a different product... The last time I was there I got " I got this Gumout on sale right here sir, it's better than what you got in your hand and it's a dollar cheaper!". Or " we got penzoil on sale with a Fram filter for such and such, its good stuff and will save you some money"... as I put 5 quarts of RP and a K&N filter on the counter... In my head I'm thinking "dicknose I just pulled up in a Joe Gibbs Silvy with a 6.0 swap in it, not a 87 Toyota tercel that I don't give two ***** about... I didn't ask what's on sale and just from looking at my purchase you should know I'm not interested in saving a friggin dollar unless you got a coupon on RP, Lucas, or K&N... Ok I'm done. But Jared your customer service skills sound awesome wish my parts store had more like you.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Teching In

If u pulled up in a joe gibbs and put 5 quarts on the counter i might suggest 1 more for six lol, but man i hear ya! I wouldnt put penzoil and a fram on anything i cared about.. But thats just me, ive stuck to mobile1 oil n filter since i bought my first chevy..

I appreciate the compliment bud...ive heard all the horror stories, it makes me sick, people need to stop being corporate peons and take some pride in what they do... Fck gumout lol.. Seriously
Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah got butt hurt when I told him "I don't use that ****!!" lol! I was using Mobil 1 in my last truck, never any issues... But the previous owner of my Gibbs was running RP so I followed suit, its way more expensive but I have never been one to switch back and forth on motor oils... Besides if it aint broke... Right?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

I have less of a problem with the college kids who just don't know.. It's not his fault he just needs money for school and this is the best he can do right now, I just get bent at the douchers who always want to push something on me because it's on sale or it's "better" yet the only reason they can come up with why it's better is because " it's on sale"...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen both sides. Dumb customers, dumb parts guys. The only parts guy i've had a real problem with is one who couldn't tell his *** from a hole in the ground, but also had an unprovoked attitude. I know I couldn't help much with specifics on foreign cars, so I don't expect the parts guy to know everything. A manager at O'reilly in Katy helped me keep my c10 rolling in high school. Rebuilt the carb once for cheap among countless pieces of advice.

Quick Reply: the truth about retail auto parts stores