THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

the truth about retail auto parts stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the one that took the cake was this...

customer came in buying a few quarts of oil, so i ask her

"you need a filter mamm?"

no im just adding some oil..

"your 5 quarts low?"

well my car keeps telling me my engine oil life is 10% so im adding oil too it

".......... mamm thats not based off of the ammount of oil, thats mileage based, its just a timer for you to know when its time to change your oil.."

dont telll me about my gmc, its new, perhaps you just dont know much about nice cars because you cant afford them...

"your right.. perhaps you would like mobile 1 synthetic, its on sale for 5.99 a quart"

fine ill take that!

she comes back in about an hour later and places a few more quarts on the counter

"still not full yet?"

no it still says 10%

"well you know what your doing"

she goes out in the parking lot and pours in a few more quarts and runs inside screaming about her car smoking...

*you sold me bad oil*

"no mamm, you over filled your engine and now its forcing oil past your rings into your combustion chambers, i tried to tell you and warn you but you insisted that i didnt know anything and that i cant afford nice cars..."

speechless she left smoking like a train all the way down the road, never saw her again... makes you want to think twice before buying a used car LOL
Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I always get the guy asking why I am ordering BR6EF plugs for my GMC, first they ask what vehicle after I gave them the Part #. They they do the same as whats mentioned above and try to get me to get iridiums and say the plug is colder then stock. All of this is fine, but when I say I am aware of this and they still keep pushing then it is frustrating. Luckly I have come to know the manager and when I come in he usually takes care of me, he knows me well enough that he just gets whatever and BS's with me while doing it.

Ya, ya Iridiums are great for NA but not for Boost.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JackJare9455
i think the one that took the cake was this...

customer came in buying a few quarts of oil, so i ask her

"you need a filter mamm?"

no im just adding some oil..

"your 5 quarts low?"

well my car keeps telling me my engine oil life is 10% so im adding oil too it

".......... mamm thats not based off of the ammount of oil, thats mileage based, its just a timer for you to know when its time to change your oil.."

dont telll me about my gmc, its new, perhaps you just dont know much about nice cars because you cant afford them...

"your right.. perhaps you would like mobile 1 synthetic, its on sale for 5.99 a quart"

fine ill take that!

she comes back in about an hour later and places a few more quarts on the counter

"still not full yet?"

no it still says 10%

"well you know what your doing"

she goes out in the parking lot and pours in a few more quarts and runs inside screaming about her car smoking...

*you sold me bad oil*

"no mamm, you over filled your engine and now its forcing oil past your rings into your combustion chambers, i tried to tell you and warn you but you insisted that i didnt know anything and that i cant afford nice cars..."

speechless she left smoking like a train all the way down the road, never saw her again... makes you want to think twice before buying a used car LOL
I don't care what happens,any one talks to me like that, they are getting a mouth full,job or no job at stake,that's just being a rude person,and my boss would agree with me.

Try working the parts counter at a motorcycle dealership,

Customer walks up

M-Hi can I help you today?

Customer-I picked up this ATV today,it's in the back of my truck and dosent run,only paid 200 bucks for it,that's a good deal right?

Me-well I don't know,is it a Honda? Yamaha? Suzuki?

Customer-I don't know there was no title and it has been painted flat black,can you come out and look at it?

Me-sure.........{in my head I'm all ready seeing where this is going}
Walk and look at this what I think is a older Honda fourtrax 300,from what I can see from the front windows,got outside and get a closer look,it was a Honda Fourtrax frame with a SKI DO snowmobile engine in it,

Me to customer-That is a fourtrax 300 frame with what looks like a older ski do engine in it.

Customer-Whats that mean?

Me-Means I don't know where to start on telling you how to get it up and running.
Here is where I stopped caring

Customer-it was a good deal though right?

Me-I would not think so, I can help you with what I can but I really don't think its gonna make a difference,{walk around to the other side and see that a rod is sticking out of the front of the engine}

Me-I dont think it will ever run

Customer-Whys that?

Me-Did you see the rod sticking out of the front of your engine?

Customer-The guy told me that was part of the oil pump....

Me-Nope, thats a rod,and looks like the left side head has lifted off and cracked the case too.

Customer-So now what do I do?

Me-Honestly I don't know but good luck with it.

Last edited by Team Paulie; 08-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Paulie
I don't care what happens,any one talks to me like that, they are getting a mouth full,job or no job at stack,that's just being a rude person,and my boss would agree with me.

Try working the parts counter at a motorcycle dealership,

Customer walks up

M-Hi can I help you today?

Customer-I picked up this ATV today,it's in the back of my truck and dosent run,only paid 200 bucks for it,that's a good deal right?

Me-well I don't know,is it a Honda? Yamaha? Suzuki?

Customer-I don't know there was no title and it has been painted flat black,can you come out and look at it?

Me-sure.........{in my head I'm all ready seeing where this is going}
Walk and look at this what I think is a older Honda fourtrax 300,from what I can see from the front windows,got outside and get a closer look,it was a Honda Fourtrax frame with a SKI DO snowmobile engine in it,

Me to customer-That is a fourtrax 300 frame with what looks like a older ski do engine in it.

Customer-Whats that mean?

Me-Means I don't know where to start on telling you how to get it up and running.
Here is where I stopped caring

Customer-it was a good deal though right?

Me-I would not think so, I can help you with what I can but I really don't think its gonna make a difference,{walk around to the other side and see that a rod is sticking out of the front of the engine}

Me-I dont think it will ever run

Customer-Whys that?

Me-Did you see the rod sticking out of the front of your engine?

Customer-The guy told me that was part of the oil pump....

Me-Nope, thats a rod,and looks like the left side head has lifted off and cracked the case too.

Customer-So now what do I do?

Me-Honestly I don't know but good luck with it.

Wow.. thats just silly!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Or how about on the phone

Me-Parts this is Paul,can I help you.

Four-six year old kid on other line-yeah I have a dirt bike and need to rebuild it, how much would that be?

Me-a complete engine rebuild?

Kid again-I think so,my dad said it blew up and needs to be rebuilt.

Price it all out top end to a crank-Me $$$$$and 43 cents

Kid-Oh I thought it would be only like 40 dollars.

Me-Nah,sorry dude,better start saving your lunch money

Kid-I only get 30 dollars a week for lunch.

Me-Cant go that low man

Dial tone.

OR

Me-Parts can I help you?

Customer-Yeah I got a zuki Hayabusa,you all got a turbo kit in stock?

Me-No that would be something I have to order for you.

Customer-how much they cost?

Me-Stage 1?2?or 3?

Customer-I want 400 hp,how much?

Me-Stage three with a intercooler,4800 plus tax

Customer-DAMN!!!!I can get that kit off ebay for 1800 shipped.

Me-Well I have to piece em out and it's a Garrett turbo kit.

Customer-What the hells a Garrett?

Me- That's the name of the turbo company

Customer- I dont care about the name of it,I just want a turbo how much installed?

Me-4800 + tax.

Customer-that AINT no deal, DIAL TONE.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, your not running a charity performance program like everybody else??
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000chevysilverado
Don't feel alone I'm a electrician and when work was slow I worked a lowes in the electrical dept and I would get bombarded with the same crap, can you show me how to hook this up, ummm no I can't I'm not at ur house, I would tell people to call a electrician or buy the how to guide for simple stuff, but nnooooo 13 bucks for a book that has pictures is to much, no my problem if your house burns down I would say or get shocked till ur more stupid, but I can say I did pick up a bunch of easy side jobs, I was charging people 300 bucks to hook up there generator when we had a ice storm one winter people didn't have power for weeks, wasn't bad took about 30 min per job I ended up doing about 40 jobs in that couple weeks
I am an electrician as well. I get the people who ask me all the time to do a side job for them.. Im a 1st year apprentice, i dont know it all, but i know enough.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Welcome to 2012, most people in general public today are fukn morons. Most people who work in retail, behind the counters at stores( auto places also) are fukin morons. Most people do not have a clue about anything including life itself.. It is a shame where it has come, from what it was.

Bingo!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Dang, your not running a charity performance program like everybody else??
That was discounted,carbon fiber and titanium aren't cheap.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of curiosity Jack, how did you deicde to register for this site and post your story?

I dont mind its just funny to see someone sign up solely to post their experience as a parts man. We've got a few on here with the same outlook. I couldnt do your job, Im waaaayyyy too much of an ******* to work in a customer service business. Id be fired real damn quick, I dont deal with stupid people too well.

Quick Reply: the truth about retail auto parts stores