THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

the truth about retail auto parts stores

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happen to work Advance auto parts, and i know what the OP i stalking about.. it seems like every gear head has a certain stereo type about the guy behind the counter.. numerous times ive had "mr.hot rod" come in there talking to me like im some guy that flips burgers for a leaving. It really gets frustrating regardless he walks out with a completely different opinion about me.

And as far as the people that work at parts stores that don't know their *** hole from a hole in the ground its not totally there fault as much as it is the company's fault for paying a quarter more than minimum wage, so you cant expect some body that knows what they're doing to want to work at such places. I am lucky enough to have three other good parts guys employed there so i like to keep them behind the counter as much as i can and send the twenty something year old hot chicks on shop deliveries.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

I used to work at autozone. Loved it when people had P/N's, hated when people didnt know what the **** they drive **** piseed me off so bad. And then you;d get the retard that as yall stated would just throw a part on the counter and say "i need this " umm okay wiped off all the crud it had looking for a P/N, wouldnt find ****, what did this come out of "im not sure" -____- so i'd send somewhere else im not gonna deal with that stupid ****. And as far as putting stuff in for people i gladly did it as long as they were thankful and no able to do it them selves. Like women needing a headlight after dark and battery's, Hell i even changed a battery in the rain for some elderly lady. But one thing i hated is the stupid *** that would expect me do **** for them when they were capable of it. Was changing a battery for a guy and the whole time he's leaning over my shoulder just saying **** i was doing "wrong" like your not supposed to take the ground cable off first everyone knows that, I'm like guy take your happy *** inside and let me do this. Meanwhile he's smoking and blowing that **** all over me. Its just crap like that, that finally made me quit (along with my sucky *** lazy co workers and bitch of a boss) But when a fellow truck enthusiast walked i was all ears and help finding them the parts they needed like belts, pigtails, and just parts that they needed. Popping the hood and finding any kind real performance part, I'd look over and be like my man haha it was always nice to chit chat with someone who actually knew what the hell they were talking about. Rant over lol. I wish anyone from this site would have gone into the store i would have gladly helped yall out.

And I'd always get that guy that had a BIG BLOCK 350 that had me rolling, or when people would talk about my truck in front of me (thinking it was another customer's car) they would have all sorts of wrong info and then talk about how they could smoke it on there old piece of **** jalopy, i would always click the lock button as they were leaving the stores and watch em turn around and see me holding the keye fob

Last edited by La SS; 09-08-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

LQ4Jose nailed it. Good post sir. You as well La SS. I'm tired of Mr. Gearhead coming in and expects me to know the thread and pitch of a bolt he can't get out of his block and the computer doesn't list in the parts catalogue do he looks at me like if I forgot to swallow the drool would run down my face. I've learned that Jeeps, especially the early and mid-90's models require a certain douche-level to own.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DTHPROOF
I've learned that Jeeps, especially the early and mid-90's models require a certain douche-level to own.
Wowwww. Had retard that kept calling to see if a part he never ordered had came and after about the 10th time i told him no part was ordered, he got all pissed off and called me a bitch and i told him to come to the store and we'll see who the bitch is, sure enough here comes this piece of crap jeep, i wont say what happened when i went outside
Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by La SS

And I'd always get that guy that had a BIG BLOCK 350 that had me rolling, or when people would talk about my truck in front of me (thinking it was another customer's car) they would have all sorts of wrong info and then talk about how they could smoke it on there old piece of **** jalopy, i would always click the lock button as they were leaving the stores and watch em turn around and see me holding the keye fob
Big block 350's actually do exist....... the term is kinda dumb in itself but take a Pontiac V8..... 326-455 cid displacement all look identical externally. Lot's of people call them "350 big blocks". GM's annoying old engines, lol.

I find other customers much more annoying generally than the staff at parts stores. Waiting in line while some guy bumbles about without a foggy f@cking clue with regards to what he needs or what his car is. I am always tempted to ask them how in the hell they plan to fix what they know nothing about..... or even what it is... I don't because half the time they have a hard enough time with the english language to start with. Not always the case, but that would make it even more frustrating to deal with.

I remember being at a counter with a young girl ahead of me in line. She needed an oil filter for her car. She knew it was a 1999 Cavalier....... and that is where it ended. Guy asked if it was a 2.2 or a 2.4........To which he got a blank stare and "I don't know". So he was sharp enough and asked "Is it a Z24 model or not?"........ Still blank. I had about enough of this, looked out at where she parked and told him "It's a 2.2". It was some ugly base model car....

I mean really, if you don't know what it is why do you expect the world to know. And furthermore I guarantee half of these same people would go in a few months down the road for another filter and still completely forgotten what the hell they own. I understand not caring about your car as it isn't important to you......then take it somewhere to be worked on as you probably can't find the filter or dipstick to change oil anyway.

But it's always fun even with the slightly smarter guy like if the counter man asks what rear differential a truck has? Usually problems with the light duty versus heavy duty 2500's..... or even worse in the OBS's as there really is no differentiation badge wise and it can have either 14 bolt. Then the guy fumbles because he thought he had it figured out...... he knew what the truck was and what engine it has........ but no dice.

Even me lately. Bought a power steering box for my 1500HD..... and they ask "Is it 32 or 33 spline sector shaft?"........ I have no bloody idea. But guess what..... GM asks the same question after you give them the VIN for the truck because it could be either or, the pitman arm is the same part regardless........... Soooooooo....... I just had him order whichever one was fastest to get, being the 33 spline. Worst that happens is it somehow won't fit. I am pretty sure however it really doens't matter.

Once the old one is on the floor with the pitman arm off ready to go back as a core, then I will know what it is, lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

That whole big block thing you said but I'm talking about the guys with a 94 Chevrolet z71 lol