THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Tuscaloosa Tornado

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you and your family are ok. i wish i lived near there or i would be right there helping you guys out
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Yeah isn't it a shame? From what I read they were doing nothing but trying to help each other, not profit from their neighbor's misfortune. One of the news highlights was the fact that amidst all the famine and dehydration, they didn't touch the vending machines. That speaks a lot for what kind of society it is. Its good to hear about people helping out in Alabama, but the amount of profiteering going on as well is just sickening.
alot of stores were raising prices like crazy on alot of essential items as well... $5 bottles of water and stuff like that. it was starting to get out of hand but im pretty sure the cops and govt. people have kinda gotten it under control
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
That is freaking nuts.. Where is all the fukn movie stars at that toss millions and millions away to victims out of the US for disasters...
Charlie Sheen was down here today....he donated $1 million.
There is so much free water, food, meals, etc. being handed out I dont know why anyone would buy anything.

Damnit, Tom
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what I can tell the looting is very isolated. There is so much devistation spread out. It is like from B'ham area north, every 20 miles there was a F4-5 tornado that stayed on the ground for30-80 miles. In some cases they were closer together, some further etc...
One particular zone I go through on the way to work, there were cops 24/7 for 4 days at all entry roads. I tried to go down one and sight see and some security set up(which I didn't see or I wouldnt have turned) stopped me and wouldn't let me in.

Volunteers in some places have been so plentiful that they are turning them away if they don't have adequate shoes, long pants and gloves. One story of some snow birds from Minnesota heading home stopped for 2 days to help.
I've also heard of more food than anyone could eat at sites.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing the difference in how people pick up and move on versus others....
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Here is a good video of Gary Dobbs on the phone with the local ABC. Dobbs is a retired local weatherman and is calling in to the station what he is seeing. He is about to get hit with a later confirmed F5 tornado which destroyed Hackleburg and Phil campbell before reaching him. This one was at least as big or bigger than the Tuscaloosa storm but hit a more rural area. Huge storms are cool........ on TV in the Nebraska corn fields.

Dobbs survived with his home destroyed. He suffered a few broken ribs etc. I'm sure he had a safe room.

click on the Dobbs Tornado Encounter under weather.

http://www.waaytv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I thought it was good to see the 24/7 flashing lights in a semi-rural area. Basically saying to not even try.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a shame that the generosity and selfess acts of most is usually tainted by the actions of just a random few. Yeah "Bad News Sells", but I like hearing the stories that all the Bama boys have been sharing way more than the few of that I've read about looting and abuses taking place.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
My sister in law is a surgical nurse at Decatur Gen. and lives in the hospital zone. I'm 2 miles away, just outside the zone but we got our power back Sun.
Cool! What's her name? I'll ask Laura if she knows her. Laura (my cousin) was the Hospice Director for a long time before she decided to take a pay cut and get back to nursing directly. Let alone theres only so much of Hospice work one can emotionally handle.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
That is freaking nuts.. Where is all the fukn movie stars at that toss millions and millions away to victims out of the US for disasters...
yeh, what Atomic says, Sheen is a winner!!!

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Volunteers in some places have been so plentiful that they are turning them away if they don't have adequate shoes, long pants and gloves. One story of some snow birds from Minnesota heading home stopped for 2 days to help.
I've also heard of more food than anyone could eat at sites.
Man that's the **** right there. The ****!

This story floored me the other day.
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...06&m=135812675

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/28/135812...aloosa-tornado
Old 05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

#6 was the monster in my neck of the woods. I live right about the I-65 marker under it.

Quick Reply: Tuscaloosa Tornado