THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Umpire blows call and ruins perfect game on the last out

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Yeah, I saw that. Galarraga seems to be taking it well though, I would be a lot more pissed off.
If you go to the highlights from the game on mlb.com, there is a vid where they interview the whole team. They are all taking it very well and being extremely mature about it. there is a vid right after where the ump apologizes and you can tell that he is upset. Just overturn it and make everybody happy.

I agree with all of you. Scott, you're right. Give the guy a break. But I also agree with the called 3rd strike. But a force out is a yes or no question. Strike zone is up to the ump. You can complain, but it is still up to the ump. He was out in this case, no questions asked.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lownslo06
true but what if you had the winning lottery ticket and you last number was 9 and the ball popped out was a nine and they said 6 and you didn't win, would you be pissed that you were that close to be booted by some dumbass that cant read the number on the ball??????
Thats true and funny but i think the ball is the winning number not what the dumbass says!

Leave it as a hit and don't mess baseball up anymore than it is.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

It's like a double jeopardy situation. A killer gets off the hook because there isn't enough evidence to prove his guilt. Then a video tape pops up with the murder on it, but the court can't try him because it's against the law. A lot like this, and it is COMPLETE bullshit. I'm no huge baseball fan, but take it for what it is. The guy pitched a perfect game. Simple as that.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Launching!

there's always , what if.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just read on yahoo news that he was given a new corvette as a consolation prize

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,245508
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That will be a good story to tell his grand kids once day...yeah I almost had a perfect game!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Galarraga is handling all of this extremely well. He said last night that Jim Joyce feels worse than he did, and that while it might not be in the record books, he knows that he pitched a perfect game.

This may end up being a good thing for everyone except Joyce. Galarraga is getting a shitload more attention than Dallas Braden or Roy Halladay got when they pitched their perfect games this season, he got a Vette, and he, along with everyone else in the world, knows that he did pitch a perfect game.

Plus, this could very well be the final blatantly awful call needed for MLB to implement some form of instant replay for more than just home runs.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

im goin to chime in on this subject, some of you know me and well......how i stand on the baseball subject.

Gallarage pitched a perfect game...yes. the ump is a dumbass...yes (Ray Charles could have made that call) should replay be in all sports....yes (this is 2010 not 1970)
but...........baseball is Americas past time. its a game of athleticism and mental stratagie. its about being human. (its kinda like golf with the whole gentalmens game)
umps make bad calls, its part of baseball, it makes the game! it gives a reason for a manager to get tossed when one does accur (WITCH SHOULD OF HAPPEN LAST NIGHT) it gives the fans a reason to yell. its what makes baseball so great.

yes, he pitched his *** off and he did not deserive that but its baseball. its like Roger Marris getting the * by his record just like Barry bonds but Marris didn't use juice so why the *?

im just sayin, its baseball, **** happens but people KNOW. like i know he did pitch a perfect game. he even knew it cuz if u watch the film everyone is yelling at the ump except for one person.....Gallaraga.

now if it would have been me.....i would have done the same thing. cuz i did because it has happen to me before.

hats off to Gallaraga.....he did great.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MLB pisses me off with this call not to overturn that call. I'm not saying that they need to review every game where shennanigans happened all the way back to the '80s, but from today on they should implement replays into the game. If something happened last week, oh well... what happened happened and you have to live with it. But, with a new system, **** like this won't happen anymore. Put another ump or two in their own booth and their only job is to make calls based on replays. They'd be watching the game as it happens and be ready to make a call any time the coaches call for a verification of a call. Obviously, they'd have to limit the number of calls a coach should be able to call for during a game, like timeouts in football or something. They just sit there ready to make a call as the game progresses, BUT they don't say **** unless they're called upon. I think it would make the game a little bit better. Even if this has no chance of getting the man his perfect game, it'll be his game that influenced MLB to go to the instant replay system. He got robbed plain and simple, and everyone up to Selig knows it, yet they won't do anything about it. It's bullshit. I've played for the better part of 16 years, so I'm not just talking out of my ***.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This would be completely different if Joyce was still supporting his call or claimed it was "too close to call". But he clearly stated multiple times, "I KICKED THE CALL". He has accepted all the blame for his mistake and he knows he was wrong, so why wouldn't Selig overturn the call? I'm sure Joyce would be thrilled if he did because it would take the load off his back. It just sounds like Selig is wanting to show how much power he's got by not changing it.

Quick Reply: Umpire blows call and ruins perfect game on the last out