THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Valley Bulldog? (1/2 english bulldog, 1/2 boxer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valley Bulldog? (1/2 english bulldog, 1/2 boxer)

hey guys
the wife and I are on the market for a puppy and ideally we were looking at english bulldogs, french bulldogs, beagles and that sort of dog, we came across an ad for 1/2 english bulldog and 1/2 boxer. we decided to go check them out and found one that really liked us and we liked. the owner/breeder called it a Valley Bulldog. My main concern is how big is this dog gonna get? the mother was quite tall being a boxer but the father was very short and stout at 16" english bulldog, the owner couldnt give me a straight answer "weeeelll he'll be smaller then the mother" but by how much is my main concern? I checked a couple websites and they say between 16"-18" which would be a perfect size but i'm worried it could get big like the mother.
have any of you owned one or had any experience with them?

the concern behind the size is I dont want to be unfair to the dog with my backyard size and I also need to be able to transport him in a crate in the backseat of her cruze. the kennel for the mother probly wouldnt of even fit threw the back door! haha

20130719_141859_zps5f819568.jpg?t=1374291184
He's 3 weeks old

2013-07-19213255_zpsd762f116.png?t=1374291196
He's 3 weeks old
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the mother. I dont have a picture of the father but she said he was 16" tall and I saw a picture, was very very purebred and good looking english bulldog

KGrHqRHJCYFHIQ75LgtBR55Wwqv5w48_20_zpse1f9afd6.jpg?t=1374291752

KGrHqVHJDcFHHRCvkjZBR55WLoQg48_20_zpsaea28281.jpg?t=1374291751
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I have no experience with this mix breed but the puppy looks to have more english in him than boxer so I would wager that he will be shorter than the mother but could still be a large dog in width/girth depending on the sire's size.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

hope it's going to be an inside dog. 2 breeds that commonly have skin issues, then top it off with the common breathing problems of the english bulldog...could be a high maintenance dog lol. are english bulldogs prone to hip displacia? cute puppy! go ahead and get it. no matter how big it gets you will still love it. i have my first big dog right now, and his size catches people by surprise...he seems tiny to the wife and i though. you will adapt.

whats up with the new designer names for mutts?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKID
I have no experience with this mix breed but the puppy looks to have more english in him than boxer so I would wager that he will be shorter than the mother but could still be a large dog in width/girth depending on the sire's size.
I noticed that too, definitely has more bulldog look. going threw the litter you could kinda see which was what and even the lady pointed out that the puppy I liked had the short snout and no boxer "crown" and a "rope" (the nose wrinkle) I was kinda like "coooool....I have no idea what that means" haha but some people must be hardcore about that stuff

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
hope it's going to be an inside dog. 2 breeds that commonly have skin issues, then top it off with the common breathing problems of the english bulldog...could be a high maintenance dog lol. are english bulldogs prone to hip displacia? cute puppy! go ahead and get it. no matter how big it gets you will still love it. i have my first big dog right now, and his size catches people by surprise...he seems tiny to the wife and i though. you will adapt.

I did some research and I guess they've been around since the early 1900's but originated up in eastern Canada and are just recently spreading out, I believe the place was called "apalean valley" in Nova Scotia and thats where the "valley" bulldog came from, but your right haha its a mut and some sites sure state it that way too.
he would be an inside dog, for the most part and thats where size came into mind. she did mention the sun burn issues especially with being white, hip displacia can be an issue, but I cant think of many dogs that dont have that issue. we're going to check a couple more out this week. it seems like every littler we find is like 3-4 weeks old so we definitely have time to look around
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado

Hit the nail on the head...let me be the first to tell you about all of these. My first put bull has food allergies and grass allergies. Came from "good, healthy" parents. Genealogy is everything. She also has bad hips. **** gets expensive. I now feed raw and BARF (in which I made a very detailed thread here, and on many other forums), she is also sensitive to the sun. I limit their outside time to an hour at a time.

bulldogs have a **** ton of issues, and unless you get a healthy one, from a known healthy dam and sire, you run the risk of dishing out tons of money on health issues.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i got lucky. My AB had tons of issues when he was a pup. without his steroid shot every 3 months he could **** through a screen door. i think it stuned his growth a little because **** would fly through him, or he would puke it out. his dad was 105lbs at 12 months old. dozer is full grown and stays between 85 & 90 depending on how much i play with him. allergic to corn, allergic to grass, allergic to air it seemed. luckily he out grew that **** around a year and a half old. very rarely will he break out and as long as i keep his diet in check his turds are solid.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

its starting to sound like bulldogs and boxers might be a lot of work haha
I havent officially put a deposit down cause I like to think things threw and look at the long term, if it was up to the mrs we would have already paid!
I'm going to check out a litter of beagels this week and a litter of "basset pounds" haha basset hound / pug

my current dog is a Shiba Inu and other then liking to sing he's been great, was house trained by his mother at 8 weeks old, has an iron clad stomach, never messed in the house, didnt wreck stuff. I'd definitely get another one but the mrs doesnt like him cause he doesnt wanna sit on her lap and cuddle
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need a great dane.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kemble
Sounds like you need a great dane.
haha I wouldnt have to worry about fitting him in the car, just toss on a saddle and ride him to where we gotta go haha

Quick Reply: Valley Bulldog? (1/2 english bulldog, 1/2 boxer)