THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

What is a street truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 96 had ps, pl, pw, dr's, power mirrors, ran on 93 octane and nitrous. wipers

and was totally streetable but i would never drive it daily.

it was hot as hell, loud as hell, no radio, shifted hard, didnt handle worth a damn, rollbar, eyes would water idling to long at a light lol. no overdrive, it just sucked unless you were having fun in it.

it fail under every thing you guys said it should have. but i still consider it a race truck. as that was its sole design and intention.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as it will drive over 50 miles and not give you any trouble aka over heating bucking stalling etc then its a street truck imo
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
In order for everyone to be "happy" in race classes, it seems as though there needs to be a rule to define every part and aspect of the vehicle. If the engine is XXXci then it needs to weigh at a XXXXlb minimum.

Any time you stick street in the title of a race class, rules need to be a little less strict since really anything goes on the street. It basically comes down to what the individual can put up with on the street. No PS, no PB, no AC, 'cage etc. It's all in what you can put up with. If you can live with a 708ci nitrous fed Rat in an S-10 with a funny car cage, and get it registered. Then well....

Also if a street truck is capable of running quicker than 11.49 than it needs a 'cage. You can't expect the track to allow them to run if they don't. They can't and shouldn't be responsible for other's ideals of what safe is.

I kind of like HRM's drag weeks rules. That should be a good start:

* Current license, registration, and proof of insurance are required. No dealer plates allowed.

* Vehicles in competition must have functional headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horns, electric or vacuum-operated windshield wipers (vintage roadsters excepted),and a rearview mirror. Headlights must be of OE-type design.

* All vehicles must meet NHRA safety rules for the e.t. and speed they are capable of, and drivers must be IHRA or NHRA licensed if required. Drag Week(TM) officials will not accept timeslips that are quicker or faster than the car's teched legal e.t. and mph. Running quicker than the safety equipment allows is cause for disqualification at the discretion of the race director.

* Vehicles with slight rule variations may beclassified at the race director's discretion.

* Any type of fuel may be used. Race gas may be purchased at the dragstrips, though HOT ROD is not responsible for availability.

NO TRAILERS, NO SUPPORT VEHICLES

* Vehicles in competition may not be led or followed at any distance by support vehicles of any kind. A support vehicle is one used to supply, or with the intent of supplying, any rescue efforts orto carry anything for a competitor including luggage, tools, fuel, repair parts or spares, and helpers or crew. Support vehicles towing "just in case" trailers are not allowed.

Oh yeah, make sure you define what a truck IS. No El Caminos or Rancheros since they don't have a separate cab and are car based platforms.
i'm with this guy except for the fuel requirements... anything higher than 93 should not be considered street truck material.
and i'm especially interested in the no support or just in case vehicles. if you break something on the street there isn't a trailer a few hundred feet away to tow you home... you're pushing
Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In order for everyone to be "happy" in race classes, it seems as though there needs to be a rule to define every part and aspect of the vehicle. If the engine is XXXci then it needs to weigh at a XXXXlb minimum.

Any time you stick street in the title of a race class, rules need to be a little less strict since really anything goes on the street. It basically comes down to what the individual can put up with on the street. No PS, no PB, no AC, 'cage etc. It's all in what you can put up with. If you can live with a 708ci nitrous fed Rat in an S-10 with a funny car cage, and get it registered. Then well....

Also if a street truck is capable of running quicker than 11.49 than it needs a 'cage. You can't expect the track to allow them to run if they don't. They can't and shouldn't be responsible for other's ideals of what safe is.

I kind of like HRM's drag weeks rules. That should be a good start:

* Current license, registration, and proof of insurance are required. No dealer plates allowed.

* Vehicles in competition must have functional headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horns, electric or vacuum-operated windshield wipers (vintage roadsters excepted),and a rearview mirror. Headlights must be of OE-type design.

* All vehicles must meet NHRA safety rules for the e.t. and speed they are capable of, and drivers must be IHRA or NHRA licensed if required. Drag Week(TM) officials will not accept timeslips that are quicker or faster than the car's teched legal e.t. and mph. Running quicker than the safety equipment allows is cause for disqualification at the discretion of the race director.

* Vehicles with slight rule variations may beclassified at the race director's discretion.

* Any type of fuel may be used. Race gas may be purchased at the dragstrips, though HOT ROD is not responsible for availability.

* Vehicles in competition may not be led or followed at any distance by support vehicles of any kind. A support vehicle is one used to supply, or with the intent of supplying, any rescue efforts orto carry anything for a competitor including luggage, tools, fuel, repair parts or spares, and helpers or crew. Support vehicles towing "just in case" trailers are not allowed.

Oh yeah, make sure you define what a truck IS. No El Caminos or Rancheros since they don't have a separate cab and are car based platforms.
okay i agree with everything except the no trailers i could build a street truck that could do 20 miles of stop and go traffic but if i lived where i do now and was to compete down in the states the "street truck" would be going on a trailer for a few reasons

1-chances are a "street truck" wouldn't be the best on fuel to travel 1000's of miles with

2-again changes are that it would have better paint then the average vehicle and i would come unglued if it cough a rock

3- if it breaks down while racing how do you exactly plan on getting it home??

4- My daily driver would be a lot quieter and have more creature comforts

Keep in mind while reading this i'm talking about coming from Canada to the States for an event I'm not meaning an event for locals of the area
Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I like how everyone bases the street truck guidelines around their trucks lol.
If you can drive it to the track and out on a cruise its a street truck.
All (basic) DOT rules need to apply. (windshield wipers, blinkers, head and tail lights etc.)
Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

i think dragweeks rules are almost as good as it gets, i mean back in the 50s 60s were they rolling around on stock octane with trailer support behind them no, at the most a buddy would be there with tools to help fix it and thats what happens at dragweek. If there legal for the road (insurance lights mirrors etc..) i dont see why it matters whats under the hood or hidden or octane usage.. its called fastest STREET LEGAL for a reason, gotta be street legal and anything else goes, well except emissions, thats a whole nother bag of worms that might put another twist to it if you wanted to take it that far. now that i think about it, maybe that should be another class at HRM dragweek
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dgrown
okay i agree with everything except the no trailers i could build a street truck that could do 20 miles of stop and go traffic but if i lived where i do now and was to compete down in the states the "street truck" would be going on a trailer for a few reasons

1-chances are a "street truck" wouldn't be the best on fuel to travel 1000's of miles with

2-again changes are that it would have better paint then the average vehicle and i would come unglued if it cough a rock

3- if it breaks down while racing how do you exactly plan on getting it home??

4- My daily driver would be a lot quieter and have more creature comforts

Keep in mind while reading this i'm talking about coming from Canada to the States for an event I'm not meaning an event for locals of the area
As far as locals go. IMO they can be followed or met there by the support vehicle but unless broken down, it must drive out as well.

Just because it's street legal doesn't been **** won't break.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no support vec is retarded. if i travel out of state or county you best believe ill have my SS and trailer to tow it home incase.

i beat a supercharged built stang at the track one saturday. next run he broke his rear end.. my buddy drove my blue truck 62 miles home while i towed the stang on my trailer with the SS.... yes there was video of this taken for humor lol.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 454navyss
oh, and appear to be a fully functional truck (ie. bed not gutted, tailgate, inner fenderwells, no plexiglass, etc)
+ no missing interior panels.

As 1slow01Z71 said, if u can road trip & fuel anywhere w/. no higher than 94octane. Like KySilverado said, but a 25 mi cruise.

All DOT(all lites & wipers) & safety eqpt. for your class.

Most people don't travel w/. a spare set of tires or a nitrous fill station. If u can spray or run DOT legals, do it. No different tires/ nor bottles, except what u rolled in on. Tire pressure changes allowed. Just like how you'd DD it.

Originally Posted by LMSeven
+1. Race gas isn't "street".

lol, this reminds me of some of the local meets we have. One thing leads to another and people are trailering in cars to race...sometimes we'll be leaving and you'll see a truck & enclosed trailer parked behind a gas station 2 minutes from the meet...they claim it's a street car since they "drove it there"
LM7, that's I like what midnight_bowtie says, they can be followed or met w/. support vehicle, cause even if it's street legal, doesn't mean **** can't break. Drive in, drive out (if not broken).
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

i still dont see why you guys think that for it to be a street car/truck its got to use a lower octane or no bottle. let them use what they want, but its gonna be harder for them to find it and way more expensive.
and as far as support vehicles, of course everybody is gonna want one behind them, but dragweek rules prohibit that which puts more emphasis on having your **** together or being ready to fix it which i think is good but **** does happen. i think we all agree that having anything on a trailer pretty much makes it race only and might as well make it all out race imo then. But the no support vehicles is for a competition and not just goin down to your local strip etc when i mention it..

Quick Reply: What is a street truck?