THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

What window tint %?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What window tint %?

I'm having the silvy's windows tinted tomorrow. I don't have to decide on what I want until I get there. The Silvy has "privacy glass" on the back doors and a tinted rear window. The guy told me that he had smoked 5%, 15%, 20%, and 35% in stock. He has mirrored and colored tine too but I'm not interested it that.

I AM having a strip on the top of the windshield done, probably with 5% or 15% at the least. The non-tinted windshield is driving me nutz.

I told him that I didn't want it so dark that I felt like I was in a cave, my G/F's car is that way and I hate driving it at night. As for the rest of the truck, he's suggesting 15% on the front doors and 35% on the other 3 windows, if I want dark, or only 20% on the front doors to match the rear doors. (plus the windshield strip, of course)

What are your opinions?

I thought about having 20% on the front doors and 35% on the rear 3 windows. That would make the back darker than the front.Do they need to match or is it OK if the rears are darker?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by KY_BOB
I'm having the silvy's windows tinted tomorrow. I don't have to decide on what I want until I get there. The Silvy has "privacy glass" on the back doors and a tinted rear window. The guy told me that he had smoked 5%, 15%, 20%, and 35% in stock. He has mirrored and colored tine too but I'm not interested it that.

I AM having a strip on the top of the windshield done, probably with 5% or 15% at the least. The non-tinted windshield is driving me nutz.

I told him that I didn't want it so dark that I felt like I was in a cave, my G/F's car is that way and I hate driving it at night. As for the rest of the truck, he's suggesting 15% on the front doors and 35% on the other 3 windows, if I want dark, or only 20% on the front doors to match the rear doors. (plus the windshield strip, of course)

What are your opinions?

I thought about having 20% on the front doors and 35% on the rear 3 windows. That would make the back darker than the front.Do they need to match or is it OK if the rears are darker?

i would do 20% on all the doors and 15% on the back window.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
i would do 20% on all the doors and 15% on the back window.
So you think there is nothing wrong with having the rear's darker than the fronts? I don't see a problem with it but the shop owner thinks it's better to have them all the same darkness.

That said, he runs 5% all the way around his GMC. I know that's darker than I want.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
The House is Rockin'

i see cars (and trucks) all the time with the rears darker than the fronts, just depends on what you want. just make sure you go alittle darker than lighter, theres nothing worse than wondering "what if?"
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i not sure about that, i think the lower the % the less light is allowed to pass through, which would be darker...
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
i not sure about that, i think the lower the % the less light is allowed to pass through, which would be darker...
That's right but the front doors are clear and the back windows are factory tinted. He says that if I want them to match, I need 15% over the clear glass and 35% over the factory tinted rears to match. I'm just not sure that I want to go as dark as 15%.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always kept 5% over my stock tint and once you get used to it thats the only way you'll own a vehicle I still see fine at night out the back glass etc... and getting the windshield done is a must!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I've always kept 5% over my stock tint and once you get used to it thats the only way you'll own a vehicle I still see fine at night out the back glass etc... and getting the windshield done is a must!!!

ideally 5% would be the way to go, but i know around here the state fate, and the local yocals are a pita about tint. they upped the fine to $120.00
Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too late to change my mind now. It has 20% on the front doors, 35% on the rear doors and back glass over the privacy glass, and a 7" strip of 5% across the top of the windshield.

Crappy cell phone pic:
Attached Thumbnails What window tint %?-photo0086.1.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
The House is Rockin'

Too late to change my mind now. It has 20% on the front doors, 35% on the rear doors and back glass over the privacy glass, and a 7" strip of 5% across the top of the windshield.

Crappy cell phone pic:

hell yeah, thats plenty dark. looks great. nothing like new tint

dont forget to NOT roll the windows down early

Quick Reply: What window tint %?