THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!
View Poll Results: how much wrenching experience do you have (multiple choice poll)
None- I surf the internet and parrot everything I read, I did change my oil once
0.40%
Some-I love modding, that's why I pay the professionals, although I handle easier jobs myself
4.05%
25/75-I do about 25% of my own work, and pay professionals to do the rest
6.48%
50/50-I do about half of my own work and I'm learning all the time
10.93%
50/50(+)-I do half of my own work, have the ability to do more, but tools are expensive
5.67%
75/25- I do most of my own work, and have a fairly decent toolset
14.57%
80/20-I do most of my own work, I research like crazy, I have an awesome toolset
13.77%
90/10-I do everything I can myself, I research like crazy, lots of tools
34.01%
95/5-I do everything I can myself, don't surf the internet often, I am always in my shop/garage
5.26%
100- I have the ability and tools to do everything myself from A-Z and then some
10.93%
110-I have the ability and tools to do everything myself from A-Z and I help out all my bro's too!
0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

What is your actual wrenching/performance modding experience level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
Only thing I won't do is internal tranny rebuilds, and rear end work (gears, etc). Only reason for that is I don't have a clean room for the tranny's, nor the tools or a bench good enough for them. I don't touch the rear because, number one, I don't have the mics and things for that, and being able to blame someone else for the gear whine is a hell of a lot easier.
This is me. I have a guy that could teach me how to rebuild a 60e but whats the point. And I dont ahve the tools I just use mjhowards or my step dads back in texas. Im working on the tool thing
Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
This is me. I have a guy that could teach me how to rebuild a 60e but whats the point. And I dont ahve the tools I just use mjhowards or my step dads back in texas. Im working on the tool thing
Cody, this is more like you....
None - I surf the internet and parrot everything I read, I did change my oil once

*****!
Old 12-31-2005, 04:31 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Cody, this is more like you....
None - I surf the internet and parrot everything I read, I did change my oil once

*****!
I do believe my *** has been uinder the hood of your truck and mine quite a bit in teh past 3-4 months

And hey I can change out the brake fluid and bleed the brakes too

Yes I do spend an insane amount of time on here when Im not working on my POS cause well Im in Alabama and there aint **** to do
Old 12-31-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I picked 90/10 cause i do all my own stuff. if i dont now how i research it or if i dont have the tool i wait to do it till i can get the tool. and i only trust 1 or 2 people to wrench on my truck besides me. I'm not surtified ase wise yet but its a work in progress but i am sertafied in a/c once i send my 15 bucks in to get the card and stuff.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured 50/50 & learning. Did some wrenching back in about 1959 thru 62 then almost none until a year ago. Lots of new technology to learn and having fun doing it. Going to take a community college course on head blueprinting and porting/polishing beginning in January and then the performance engine building course next fall. Hope to build a 6.0/402 from the block up... maybe even do my own machine work. Gettn'r dun!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

50/50 I'll try to tackle ALMOST anything but if it starts lookin like some complicated stuff i will be using my phone a freind (Bluecajun5.3 and Extendocab)haha
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i handle easy jobs myself that i can see i can do them, as long as i got instructions i can do almost anythin (except paint)
Old 12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do everything I can but machine work
Old 12-31-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Same here. I do everything myself except tranny internals and rear gears. I even researched rebuilding my trans. Got the manuals, video, etc. Decided against when I found Chuck @ FLT 200 yards down the street from my office. After watching a rebuild, I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself. I'm sure I could have gotten through it but I would have had to purchase tools and at 8 hrs min to swap a trans, I wanted to make sure I did it once and only once!

I consider working on my vehicles therapy!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I think about 50/50 for me.
The tools are what kills ya, nothing like attempting a job with no real experience doing it or having all the wrong tools to do it.
I spent so much money on tools when I was a Tool+Die maker it would make you sick.
The **** is mostly useless for wrenching on vehicles too.
Mics and indicators, jo-blocks, parallels, 1-2-3 blocks, precision vises don't do much good except for inspection and basic assembly.
I did machine some heads on an old Ford 302 once, did the threaded rocker studs and ground out thr EGR bump (WOW hey!), put together the short block with a ford freak buddy of mine. Replaced too many trannies, flywheels, clutches, water pumps , etc....
That was mostly when I was young and stupid. Breaking **** all the time and nothing but time on my hands to fix all the **** I broke.

Quick Reply: What is your actual wrenching/performance modding experience level?