THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

who works swing shift??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yall got fome F*cked up schedules. I don't see how yall even remember when yall have to work...2 on 3 off 4 on 1 off 7 on WTF....I'll stick to my 4-10s!! Monday thru Thursday 6-4:30 and friday, saturday and sunday OFF!!! SORRY, not trying to rub it in...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is not AS bad, but it still sucks. Five ten hour shifts a week and ride them like a roller coaster 12-10, then 6-4, then 10-8, then 12-10, ending 12-10. Then he puts them in a hat and changes the order the following week lol.

Oh and I work every weekend.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally I work 0600-1400 and 1400-2200, changes every week. I used to work 2200-0600 but they cut that shift out due to business.

A few years ago I worked 0600-1800 Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday then the next week I would work Wednesday and Thrusday. Then the next week I'd work 1800-0600 same schedule.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2002
i also work 12hr shifts.... days and nights, been on it for 10yrs now.... it really doesnt bother me yet, but i do notice that i sleep less when im working nights? i guess my room aint dark enough....

I work 4nights, then off 3day, work 3days, off 1day, work 3nights, off3days, work 4days off 7days!!!

that seven straight days off makes it worth the while for me!! only work 14days out of the month!
10-4!! gotta love long change!! use 4 days vacation, and your off 2 weeks!! i can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. its nice being able to sleep, but its a curse cause i have hell staying awake(even driving 8minutes to work)

seriously, though, you should go see a sleep doctor. i did, and it made a huge difference. turns out, i have sleep aphnea(sp?) where you dont get good restful sleep and your always tired. i sleep much better now, and im rested. this really started when i started working the dupont schedule
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Mine is the same as yours accept add another week of 4-10hr days mon-thurs for requal training after the 3 nights. It just makes it a 5 week rotation. I love the time off but hate working the weekends. Work 2 weekends in a row and off 3 in a row.
But 2 weeks ago I got a day shift job working 5-10's 6am-4pm. It's nice!
yeah, im the same here i hate working the weekends, usually when i work the weekend thats when i have something to do, and then when im off the weekend there aint **** to do! lol.... day shift is ok, ive been offered it once but turned it down, working a day shift will make you loose the built in O.T. and that over a year is a good chunk, plus a normal 12hr OT day here and there aint bad to get when you need some blowing away money.... im on a mission for 8 more years to stay on shift and i should be set, after that im finding me another career or getting a day job...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
How often do you get all 7 off? I have a friend at Dow in Freeport. If he wants all seven, he has to protect it with vacation. I also have a friend at BP in Texas City. They work the longchange also. It doesnt seem he gets all his seven off usually.

I'll take my 4 on 4 off. Take a set of days off, you got 12 1/2 days off work.

If you have a problem getting to sleep when working nights, drink a beer before bed. Search it out, 1-2 beers a day are good for you.
well it just depends.... some shifts have people that love the OT and they will take any OT day from you, so i just give it to them when they wanted.... when i first started i worked a **** load of OT, took it away from anyone that didnt want to work..... now im on the other side, ill give it away to the newer guys that want the extra cash, i guess as i get older i seem to enjoy my days off a whole lot more and prefer to be at home with the family.... plus the wife landed a very good job, so not really need the OT., but it does happen ocassionally that you get scheduled on your days off and no one wants to work for you, thats with it really sux! lol...... but my technique is this, i work enough OT the beginning of the year to be ahead of everyone on my shift, so when the summer comes along and kids are out of school, im not getting scheduled OT in the summer, the other guys are the ones working in the summer....
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
10-4!! gotta love long change!! use 4 days vacation, and your off 2 weeks!! i can fall asleep anytime, anywhere. its nice being able to sleep, but its a curse cause i have hell staying awake(even driving 8minutes to work)

seriously, though, you should go see a sleep doctor. i did, and it made a huge difference. turns out, i have sleep aphnea(sp?) where you dont get good restful sleep and your always tired. i sleep much better now, and im rested. this really started when i started working the dupont schedule
lucky you, our place is a fast pace enviroment, definately no time to sleep! i have a 25min ride home and it sux when you are sleepy!

i might have to check out that sleep Dr., pm me some info on where you went.... it just seems that i never catch up with my sleep, when working nights i get back in bed around 6:30-7:00 and bam im damn wide awake by 10:30-11:00!!! and thats it cant go back to sleep so by the time i go back into work at 5pm im damn tired.....
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Launching!

I wish I had set hours on my jobs. We work on call, and work until the jobs done. Average jobs that we do are atleast 16-20hours long. Many do go to 40-60hours of working. I've had many jobs last longer then that too. Trying to stay up for days at a time is just insane, but we do it. Yes, it's illegal. No, the owners don't give a ****. Yes, they've been sued. The worst part about the job is driving home. Imagine that. Sometimes we're all the way out i rifle, CO then we have to head back after a 30-40hr job. Pull over to sleep in a vehicle just isn't the same.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've worked the 4 days off 4 days on rotating days to nights, they were ok, didnt mind working 2 weekends out the month, same as the Dupont shift worked that for several years, and enjoyed the long 8 days off, i work days now, which i personally dont like cause of company change to be closer to home BUT i also work tons of overtime, i dont mind during the week as long as i have my weekends and every other friday,i'm already at 587 hours overtime hours for the year god this company luvs throwing money away
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn skeet you must stay out there a whole lot, im at a little over 300 for the year, and think thats way too much! lol....