THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Why for the last 5 years Im the ONLY one who works on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why for the last 5 years Im the ONLY one who works on my truck

Back in 05 I blew the g80 with a 150 shot nitrous assisted merge into traffic with one tire off in teh grass. I enlisted a local shop(was living in AL at the time). I supplied the parts for the eaton install, and they did the work. Well I drove it home(Houston, Texas 800 mile trip) and noticed right away a fluid leak. Come do find out the pinion seal was screwed so I replaced it and went on my way. For a while it didnt leak and was fine then I started noticing small droplets under the diff. The cover was leaking now, but jsut a little so for the last 5 years(4000ish miles) ive just topped it off because it hasnt been that big of a deal since in the last 5 years the truck has ran maybe 18 months of that time due to lack of interest. Well today I finally decided to fix it since I got the truck back running again and it was leaking BAD. Right away I noticed the bottom left bolt had come out at some point and upon further inspection the top bolt had come out too. So I start pulling the diff cover bolts and EVERY one of them except one was loose. As in I pulled them out without even using my allen head socket. So one bolt was holding the diff cover on. I took some pics as I helicoiled ALL 10 bolt holes. I post up a how-to in the drivetrain section at some point in time but here are a few pics to depict exactly why no one touches my **** anymore. Ive screwed up my fair share of **** on my truck but its been my fault and Im OK with that and its been a learning experience. Just something about paying a shop to do horrid work really pisses me of. Ill let the pics speak for themselves.

After sitting for 5 days

Nastuness after leaking for so long with road grime, notice the two bolts missing

Yes they "fixed" two of the bolts by wrapping them in aluminum foil

Helicoil installed

In progress

Done

The bearing cap preload bolts werent even tightened down on the caps like they were suppose to either

So yeah, needless to say I was bit aggitated to find how screwed up of a job they did, and having to spend 3 hours of my time to fix it today. I guess this could be posted in the what Im doing to my truck thread

Im sure people have a lot of similar stories like this. Atleast now if something is screwed up on my truck its because I did it not because I paid someone else to screw my **** up for me
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. Simple but 100% true.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

DAMN, you have SUPER JACK! Glad you got it all going again...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got to admit, wrapping a bolt with aluminum foil is ingenious
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeshow
If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. Simple but 100% true.
Agreed. Or w/. the help of friends u trust. Only time I've had someone else do work that doesn't meet this criteria was when I had FLT build trans & when I get my Truetrac installed. And I like it that way!

At least now u can see the Thunder script on the cover w/o squinting thru the oily mess. Cody, u need a bigger jack.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum foil is a new one for me. Hmmmmm
Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

where in AL were you? i dont wana end up at the same place you did!

it was probably some shitty transmission chain shop or something in roebuck/trussville huh?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought halfway between Rogersville and FLorence on 72, north side of the highway. Dont remember the name of the shop but that should narrow it down enough if theyre even still there.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Must have been an older guy who did it... The foil trick is a classic
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
where in AL were you? i dont wana end up at the same place you did!

it was probably some shitty transmission chain shop or something in roebuck/trussville huh?
dont you need to be working on making your truck run?? that shitty shop built you a trans you need to go test!! hehe

oh and aluminum foil to fix a bolt?? damn thats sad right there.

Quick Reply: Why for the last 5 years Im the ONLY one who works on my truck