THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Why for the last 5 years Im the ONLY one who works on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Must have been an older guy who did it... The foil trick is a classic
No I think that was one of you young fellers! The old guys would clip a cotter pin and jam it in the hole. I have just about every helicoil kit in my box and would never do a hack job like that.

One thing comes to mind while looking at that cover. I would assume that the factory bolts are metric. What bolts came out of those holes? Who originally installed that cover and did it come with the correct supplied bolts? Hard to believe that in a steel housing all holes but one were pulled out of the housing? It's not like its aluminum. Are the bolts the correct length?

See where I'm going with this? Ive seen some stupid **** doing this type of work for 20 years. Just when you think you've seen it all............
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come to find out the bolts supplied with the cover arent the same as the ones for the housing. I dont remember what either one is just that they arent a match. The new bolts I used where matched up at my local bolt company diameter wise and matched to a helicoil kit they had in stock as it didnt matter what they were since I was drilling out the original.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess the factory bolts are probably a M8 x 1.25mm. The ones used were a 5/16 x 18. Standard bolts in a metric hole = nobueno.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 AM
GFYS and STFU

Well not that it was simple but at least the leak wasn't caused by something internal, and it was just the cover. You need to go get two things, an oil catch pan and a powerwasher. Hop to it!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Bought halfway between Rogersville and FLorence on 72, north side of the highway. Dont remember the name of the shop but that should narrow it down enough if theyre even still there.
thanks for the tip. next time i need work done on the truck i'll either do it myself or go back to montgomery. no auto repair in huntsville for me
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 AM

This place is a long ways from Huntsville(1-1.5hr west), although Huntsville is cursed too. I blew my tci converter over at the 1/8th mile there. I broke a lot of **** while in Alabama
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

dam that sucks. I had to helicoil the side of my block from the previous owner. I used a different style, and dam they work super good.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

This place is a long ways from Huntsville(1-1.5hr west), although Huntsville is cursed too. I blew my tci converter over at the 1/8th mile there. I broke a lot of **** while in Alabama
LOL! The beginning. I'm currently in South Haven, MI visiting Palisades Nuclear Plant.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
dam that sucks. I had to helicoil the side of my block from the previous owner. I used a different style, and dam they work super good.
Yeah I heard that guy is a douchebag
Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
LOL! The beginning. I'm currently in South Haven, MI visiting Palisades Nuclear Plant.
Yeah, its ALL your damn fault. My addiction to speed and beer, you owe me a LOT of money

I may be back in your industry here after the first of the year, and semi close to your neck of the woods(NC).
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I may be back in your industry here after the first of the year, and semi close to your neck of the woods(NC).
Where at? You gonna be crushing concrete?

Quick Reply: Why for the last 5 years Im the ONLY one who works on my truck