THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Wifes 4runner got broken into at dinner tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandomHero
No one deserves any of it. ...
How very true!

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
...I don't understand why people think they are entitled to other peoples stuff. ...
Cause they're rotten no good thieves. Beau, I get irritated everytime i read bout theft on here. It's for sure that good people have to do deal w/. this.

Originally Posted by Zick
Yup this happened to my wife's Trailblazer. Went out to dinner and put the gps in the center console but left the window mount up. Well they must have saw that and figured it might be in the vehicle and they were right. The only thing they stole was the GPS & Mount. We even had a check book in the center console too but they left that.
Now we take everything out and put it all completely out of sight.
You got lucky on the checkbook. Thieves are really becoming some crafty 's. They look for suction cups, mounts, the cable, or if the window has residue. Glad I don't have a GPS in truck.
The news is constantly warning people, at least round here, that GPS's are #1 reason for vehicle break-ins. They even said don't give any clues like residue on window from suction cup & their accessories layin round. They're stalin these now, before it was air bags, & of course, before that (& always will be) stereos.

Thieves will never get any sympathy from me.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad03
can they track those GPS's?
No not that I'm aware of yet, sure would be a nice feature if it got stolen except then everyone would be bitching that big brother is watching them.

Mine was a Garmin and luckily I had it password locked and also informed Garmin that it was stolen. They said if someone tries calling them asking to get it unlocked, and if their stupid enough to ship it to them then Garmin would ship it right back to me. But I'm guessing it either went into the trash or they figured out how to unlock it because it's been a year now.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate thieves with a damn passion. A buddy of mine had his truck broken into 4 times in his apartment complex and the complex refused to let him out of his lease or install cameras to catch the guys doing it. We knew it was the same guys each time. He went and had a paging alarm installed and had them leave the siren unhooked so that if you broke into the truck you wouldnt hear anything but the remote would go off in his pocket. So were sitting in his apt one nite drinkin a few beers with some friends and his remote starts beeping and buzzing. We roll out the door and walk around the corner to find a set of legs hanging out from under the door and you can hear stuff being broken in the truck. My buddy takes off in a sprint and throws his entire 245lb college linebacker frame into the door. The guy started screaming as my buddy grabbed the door and repeatedly slammed the guys knee caps in between the door and cab. Long story short, cops, ambulance and everyone and their cousin shows up. The cops arrest the guy and send him to the hospital where we later find out he will never walk normally again. The cops filed a report and the apt complex manager tried to have my buddy evicted because he caused "trouble" in the parking lot. My buddy threatened to sue them because he had a written statement from the manager stating that he wouldnt be let out of his lease on the grounds that "it wasnt warranted by simple vehicle theft." Part of the reason we were all so pissed about all this is that the girl who lived next door was like a sister to us and she was held at knife point in the parking lot one night over $25 in cash and her CDs. The apartments are in a nice area but the problem is all the hoods know that the complex wouldnt do **** before my buddies incident. Since that night there hasnt been a single case of auto theft or mugging/robbery. Just goes to show that sometimes youve gotta handle it yourself. Get some cameras for your cars. Chances are its the same people targetting you. People that usually do that kind of stuff usually run together or know lots of other people who do the same things.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
...apt complex manager tried to have my buddy evicted because he caused "trouble" in the parking lot. My buddy threatened to sue them because he had a written statement from the manager stating that he wouldnt be let out of his lease on the grounds that "it wasnt warranted by simple vehicle theft." ...all the hoods know that the complex wouldnt do **** before my buddies incident. Since that night there hasnt been a single case of auto theft or mugging/robbery. ...
That apt. complex MGR is a !!!
He's more interested in collectin rent than renter's safety. Guess what, when renters leave cause they don't feel safe, u have no renters. MGR is a P.O.S. & an idiot.

Funny how everything ended after that guy got a whoopin.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to be able to catch someone in the act...they would never function correctly again. And if they chose to go after my house with the info in the gps, well I have throw away guns for a reason. (home wasnt set to my current address, it was set to my folks address back home in TX)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the otherside, in a day in age where a robber gets shot breaking into someones house can sue and win against the home owner, you gotta be careful about that stuff
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by venomhp
On the otherside, in a day in age where a robber gets shot breaking into someones house can sue and win against the home owner, you gotta be careful about that stuff
True you do. But a dead guy doesn't talk much.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ What he said. Id much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 and dead people dont file lawsuits. My Uncle was a Little Rock cop for 25 years. He said the greatest thing he ever heard was after a guy broke into a house and woke up the couple who lived there. The husband shot the guy 16 times with a 9mm killing him. Another officer said "Man why did you shoot him 16 times?" The owners reply, "I didnt have 17 bullets."
Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
^ What he said. Id much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 and dead people dont file lawsuits. My Uncle was a Little Rock cop for 25 years. He said the greatest thing he ever heard was after a guy broke into a house and woke up the couple who lived there. The husband shot the guy 16 times with a 9mm killing him. Another officer said "Man why did you shoot him 16 times?" The owners reply, "I didnt have 17 bullets."
That's what I meant. Dead people can't file lawsuits.

I didn't have 17 bullets. But Wow! 16x?!?