THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Will gas prices ever come back down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Cody, how do you explain how gas prices are so competitive then? There are many companies that just refine oil and don't actually produce oil. Why is it that every gas station's prices are so competitive?

I realize that there are laws and restrictions on prices to avoid monopolies, but not every oil company refines and drill.

EDIT- In regards to your post, it said that "many of these companies". How do you explain those who don't have prior oil investments?

I guess my question is, is why isn't there a monopoly going on if oil companies control gas prices. Hell if they charged 10 cents less they'd drive all other companies out of business and corner the market. That's another question you have to ask yourself.
I hate Windows Vista with a passion, I had a nice long response typed out and IE7 quit working

Bottom line crude oil price per barrel went up 30% from jan07 to dec07 they reported profits in excess of that figure therefore there is no way you can deny they control their prices.

Competition is what keeps prices in check between oil companies but none of them are hurting fro money, we are dependent on their goods and we will still buy no matter what the price is, they know that therefore they will continue to jack the price up.

The government isnt going to do much to help, why do you think the politicians are so crooked. Ever heard the term "congress is in bed with the big oil companies", IE their lobbyist are padding the pockets of the government to make sure they dont step on their bread and butter.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trever1t
WHO SAID THEY WERE AMERICAN??
Not saying it was you, but you kind of imply it when you post Exxon's profits for 2007.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by trever1t
Yes, nail on the head, absofugginlutely. WHO SAID THEY WERE AMERICAN??

Again, they run the world, they are not American, we are oil. get with the program. You think I'm kidding, am I?
By the end of this thread I think we will have enlightened these people as to how gas prices are truly set, its not as easy as some may think, the oil companies are EVIL plain and simple. But if I was in their position I cant say I wouldnt do the same so I guess Im a bad person too.

Time for me to purchase that vespa Ive been looking at
Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Not saying it was you, but you kind of imply it when you post Exxon's profits for 2007.
You think only americans are share holders in Exxon, I bet someone who is supplying their crude oil who wanted to get even richer and had a say so in their profits might invest in said company since they are putting money directly back into their pockets *cough* Middle Easterners *cough*
Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil companies just haven't had a great last year though, each year for the last couple of years they have broken their own record profits.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by L33Z71
The oil companies just haven't had a great last year though, each year for the last couple of years they have broken their own record profits.
Since 2003 to be exact, 5 years in a row all the sudden after what 80+ years of refining oil?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I hate Windows Vista with a passion, I had a nice long response typed out and IE7 quit working

Bottom line crude oil price per barrel went up 30% from jan07 to dec07 they reported profits in excess of that figure therefore there is no way you can deny they control their prices.

Competition is what keeps prices in check between oil companies but none of them are hurting fro money, we are dependent on their goods and we will still buy no matter what the price is, they know that therefore they will continue to jack the price up.

The government isnt going to do much to help, why do you think the politicians are so crooked. Ever heard the term "congress is in bed with the big oil companies", IE their lobbyist are padding the pockets of the government to make sure they dont step on their bread and butter.
First of all, I'm sure you know that a barrel of crude oil makes a heck of a lot more than just gas. I believe one barrel of oil makes around 20 gallons of refined gasoline. However, it makes a ton of other stuff we use in our daily lives.

Think about this: How is the oil getting to you? Gas doesn't just appear in gas stations. It has to be transported, a long way. Higher gas prices=higher transportation costs which means less profit for oil companies. There's tons of other factors such as refining oil costs, marketing costs, etc.

I realize that competition what sets prices, however, how do explain how the companies who only refine oil are making money as well? I believe it is Valero(it may be someone else so forgive me) that only refines oil rather than produce and refine. How do you explain how they're still in business? They are buying crude oil from others rather than drilling it themselves. If exxon or sunoco really wanted to, they could just drop their prices and put valero out of business. It doesn't work like that though. Oil companies aren't controlling the cost of gas.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

At one time oil was pretty much worthless. Whales were where it was at...

see what those PITA fuggers did!
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
The gases prices will not come down until the US Dollar is more competetive with other currancy... The falling dollar is a direct reflection on the US economy, if and when the economy bounces back, then the gas prices will fall back down... HOnestly it has very little to do with greedy oil companies, it has to do with the Dollar not being able to buy as much as it did several years ago... All other currency are greater than the dollar now, so since the US dollar can not buy as much as it used to that is why gas that is imported costs more....
I disagree about your dollar effecting oil prices, up hear in Canada gas is at $1.12 a litre, and our dollar is now matched with yours, even before our dollars were equal gas was still alot. It keeps going up yet Alberta alone produces more then enough oil to supply all of Canada easily
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You think only americans are share holders in Exxon, I bet someone who is supplying their crude oil who wanted to get even richer and had a say so in their profits might invest in said company since they are putting money directly back into their pockets *cough* Middle Easterners *cough*
I second guessed myself so I went and looked at the breakdown of exxon's shareholders. The majority of the top 10 institutional holders and top 10 mutual fund holders are all American.

It's always nice to assume oil companies are evil. The fact of the matter is that the head members are very similar to retail salesmen. However much they sell determines how much they make.

Quick Reply: Will gas prices ever come back down?