THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Wormy guy working out, Trying to get bigger...help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wormy guy working out, Trying to get bigger...help

Ok, I have been going to anytime fitness for months now (5-6) and I have seen little results. Or I say "Little" anyways. I have been through a few stages in my life with my body type but mostly ive been a little" wormy guy. I want to get bigger and wanna get stronger. My dad and brother are the same, tall and skinny, so I have genes stacked against me.

Heres the deal:
Im 24, slender build, 5'10" or so, I weight 154lb right now. When i started working out I was only at 145 or so. So I have gained weight in muscle for sure because I have lost fat all over.

I try to drink tons of water daily whether i work out or not. Havent been much on watching my diet until recently. I am making sure i eat breakfast and Im sitting supper out.

I typically workout Monday, wednesday and Friday. First thing in the morning. .5-1hr I take creatine stack after my workouts (5,000 Mg)
I also drink a protein shake after every workout. Either Syntha 6 or powder mixed two scoops to 8 oz water.

My workouts start with walking then running at least a half mile to get my heart rate up, then I move to upper body machines and free weights. I curl, bench, abs, triceps, chest butterfly, some cable exercises(punching, crossed row, etc.) Some pushups at home at night but not worked into my morning workout and not very often.

I dont really work my legs much at all, mostly running on incline, work my calves by setting weight on my knees and lifting up while seated and some lunges.

I may be spending a total of 2-3 hours in the gym a week so im guessing this is a huge factor.

Any have any advice for a skinny kid trying to get bigger and stronger. I dont really wanna bench 2 times my weight or anything but I sure would like to get bigger and look better with the shirt off. Im married and im not women hunting but its nice to get noticed and other than being little Im pretty awesome. Yeah I SAID THAT. I just need the body to go with it
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so your not eating supper? i don't think that is good. i heard you need to eat small meals every 3 hours to get your metabolism up. are you doing lots of reps on weights? if you want to bulk up, find you max weight you can bench. then do 5 reps at 70% of that, then 3 reps at 80% and as many reps as possible at 90%. do that with all your workouts and you should bulk up.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing, you need to eat 5 small meals a day. Lean 20g's of protein, carbs, and some fiber to keep everything moving. Make sure you eat something every morning. And I always left the table a little bit hungry. It won't take long to get your metabolism rocking. When I was a **** about it, I could probably digest a block of concrete.

Honestly, not picking on you, but your workout sucks. If you want to build muscle mass, back and legs are a priority. Your strength comes from your back, ***, and legs. On lift days, I had one major lift, then several complementary lifts.

On a back and legs day, I would do either squats or deadlifts. Then follow those up with good mornings, one-legged squats, romainian deadlifts, lawnmower pulls, bent over rows, rack pulls. Or I skipped B.O. rows and did weighted chins. I pretty much did one major lift, then around 4 of those complementaries out of what I listed. On my main lifts, I did a 5x5. And if it was squats, I ALWAYS started with the bar.

Chest, shoulders, triceps. Strict overhead press was my major lift. I usually went light on bench, nothing over 225. Did some inclines, and flys. Then some shrugs, weighted dips, followed up with some pull ups.

After a major lift and some comps, I always did some sidebends and roll outs. Your core plays a part in pretty much every lift.

In between major lift days, I did some cardio. Not very much b/c I fkn hate doing cardio. Then some farmer's walks, for grip strength. Maybe a "couture workout". Youtube that workout, it will kick your *** and hit everything.

Its a big help to have a lift partner. Especially one that is stronger than you. Sherdog.com has a badass strength and power section. I recommend you read the stickies. They will give you detailed answers to your questions. If you post what you put up here, they are going to rip your *** a new one. Dave Tate wrote some nice treatises on lifting. Definatly good reads.

Im a little taller than you, and I had your same problem. Im about 6'-0", and I weighed around 150lbs throughout highschool. After sticking to that routine for close to a year, I was 178lbs. I was never bruiser, but didn't get pushed around in a crowd, if you know what I mean. I had a 405 lbs deadlift, 275 lbs squat, 225 bench, and 160 lbs overhead press.

Another big thing, don't go heavy too soon. Make sure you have your mechanics down before you go heavy. Everyone has to start from somewhere. Don't get up tight about lifting light when you start out.

Lifting weights in ALOT like religon. Everyone has their own version, and they are always right. Do a little research, and stick to a good routine, you'll see improvements before you know it.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Well I said skipping supper but honestly I havent really done that much. Im just trying to get away from eating till im overfull and sleeping on it.

Like I say, im not trying to get super strong so my legs are not a concern of mine at all. I like how they look now and I feel they are strong compared to everything else. I just have a boney chest, little arms and my back dont got much going on. finally starting to get rid of the breast bone showing. yeah it was bad.

I understand exactly what your both saying and I trust your experience.

Anyhow, I am seeing the shape changing but I just need to get more out of what Im doing.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

When I do benching or anything I lift what I can get 8 reps. Move to something else for a set, then go back and do 8 more reps.

Example: Keep in mind when i say im weak i mean IM WEAK. I dont have a clue on max but i dont even bother trying. i hurt my shoulder when i first started working out doing a light bench on a machine that kinda pulls in as you push. So it causes me to go easy and not push.

I bench 50 lbs, 8 reps, get up, few minutes rest, water, do 15-25 reps 80 lbs chest curl, take a few minutes, seated row 90 - 100 lbs 25 reps, then bench 8-10 reps again.

I do this 5 or so times before im done with those areas. I know im probably doing everything wrong but i am not killing one thing till i wear out, i am taking breaks and trying to work different things. its working but its just slow.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Eat stuff that's high in protein helps muscles build faster. Such as peanut butter, tuna fish, pizza, etc. Id eat before and after a workout. If your looking to get bigger muscle mass, you got to use more weight with less reps. To get cut up, use less weight with more reps.
More mass find out what you max out @.
50% lighter then ur max 15 reps
75% lighter then ur max 10 reps
100% max out 5 reps
To get cut up & stronger
100% max out 5 reps or more
75% lighter 10 reps or more
50% lighter 15 reps or the most you can do
Pick days to work out certain parts of the body to let others heal
Just remember no pain no gain
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Its all in the diet. If your not eating enough, Good calories, you wont gain. Probably severely lacking in protein as well.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

How to get big and strong: Eat everything. Move heavy stuff often.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Its all in the diet. If your not eating enough, Good calories, you wont gain. Probably severely lacking in protein as well.
Well I have a question. I drink a protein shake that should equal 40 to 50g daily. Should I also eat high protein foods? Will it "hurt" to eat protein loaded foods and drink shakes?

Im just went and bought some tuna and some whole wheat flatbread sandwich buns to put it on. Im thinking this would be a good lunch, real cheap and should be what i need. But i need to find some easy stuff I can eat during the day when im at the office and not have to "make" 5 meals a day. Ill get to checking into the different foods, etc.

I appreciate your help guys. After reading and thinking into it some more it seems like I am nearly starving myself, i cant expect to get bigger if i dont have the fuel, plus I get tired and wear down now. Eating lots more will fix all that.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Protein shake is 50g protein, probably depeding on whose.

You need to eat arond 1.5-2g per pound of body weight. So around 300 g a day. A chicken breast is probably 50g, look at your tuna cans etc.

Get your self a little cooler, cook a pack of chicken breasts and eat them during the week.

Quick Reply: Wormy guy working out, Trying to get bigger...help