THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Would anyone buy a Syclone/Typhoon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone buy a Syclone/Typhoon?

I have always loved the Sy/Ty and use to live next door to one of the designers of the trucks. I have always thought about getting one but then I realize that they are a 15 year old truck and most of them have been flogged to death. It would probably be a bad idea to get into one, but for some reason these trucks have always called to me. Who here has one, knows someone who has one, or use to own one? Tell me what you guys think?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

My uncle had a Syclone, and I would have bought it if he told me he was selling it. His was in excellent shape, so just keep looking; you'll find one that hasn't been beat to death. For the record, I'm with you...there is just something about those trucks.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

If i ran across a nice deal on one id jump on it! They look clean and the gauges are freakin sweet! But out of the 2 id rather have the typhoon!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a 92 Ty and I drive it quite regularly. I looked for quite awhile for one that wasn't beat to death and/or rusty. I found one that was driven mostly on the highway by an older woman and live in AZ since 95.

The best thing I can recommend is to test drive a few of them. Just because its low mileage doesn't mean ****! They are a ton on syty.net that have 2X,XXX miles that are on their 2nd and 3rd engines. Even if it's low mileage and stock it still might have been boosted from stoplight to stoplight its whole life. I drove 2 that had lower mileage than mine, one with less than half the mileage, but mine ran and looked the best.

Them market on them is like a yoyo and its soft right now, so I say go for it. Things to check for are obviously modifications. Some modifications are ok though from a reliability standpoint, they need to be done. An AFPR, a bigger fuel pump, boost guage and a bigger IC pump and aux HX. Also check the propshaft play before you buy. If there's slop, walk away. It's probably been boost launched more than enough times and put away wet. On the same note, an aftermarket propshaft is a good idea too. They run roughly $400.

They're 15 years old now, they have thier creaks and rattles but thier fun as hell to drive. Most people don't know WTF they are, so you can surprise a lot of people.

www.syty.net has all the info you could ever want to know and more.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved it and miss it terribly. I had to sell it because it was a money pit and at the time I couldn't afford it. It's a different story now but I still wish I wouldn't of sold it. They are Incredible cars if properly maintained and taken care of but for $$ sake you'd better do the wrenching yourself. There is a really tight community as well and they have annual meets that are alot of fun. As Vanilla man said there are a few upgrades that are must do but other than that...
I drove mine daily for 2.5 years in the baking Cali sun. They run VERY HOT which is why mine had a lot of very minor problems which always kept me busy. I would say get one and take care of it!!

Here's my old one.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My tech school teacher had one, it was wicked to drive. 4 wheel burnouts and drifts, I've had enough S10s to know there's probably quite a few issues with them, but it's no worse than any other fast vehicle that gets beat on. Keeping up with one still in good shape is a lot better than trying to save one that's already beat to death. There's still a lot of them out there for cheap, I'm still waiting on the GN/T-Types to go down in price more.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to think that I will get one soon but trying to find one in good shape would be really difficult. If I did get one, I would probably just do a ground up restoration, otherwise, I would probably be fixing it often. I will without a doubt keep working on my truck, and if I do come across a nice Sy/Ty, I will take a good look at it.
Thanks for everyones input.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

id buy one in a heart beat
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

like mentioned above, if you dont like wrenchin, dont get one. if you get one, never take it to a shop or dealership for work.

most trucks put more miles on jackstands then on the tires.

if you've had one before you'd wanna get another one, but if you havent had one, i wouldnt wish this burden on another person. lol.

again like mentioned, tight community, and fun meets, and some incredibly quick trucks.

They're pretty expensive to mod, twice as expensive as a GN, and probably 3 times as a full size LS truck.

but i love mine. and i want another.

EDITED: if you find a truck, go onto the SyTy.net message board. any of those guys would be happy to go with you when you look at it. the Florida SyTy group is big.

Last edited by AeroKing; 11-20-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Buy a SyTy? Planing on emulating one within the year.

Quick Reply: Would anyone buy a Syclone/Typhoon?