THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Z06 swap into a boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Z06 swap into a boat

a friend of mine has a boat with a original v6 4.3 chevy motor, he can get a Z06 engine from a wrecked corvette

can he make the Z06 carburetor? or what would be the best to do in this case?

thank you and sorry for the question, i dont know much about boats carburetors and stuff like that
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off...Puting the engine in the boat isnt gonna be a simple drop in as it currently has a lil ol tiny one in there....

Then...im not sure about that engine but there is a kit for the lsX engines for a carbed intake, ignition box, etc. So YES it tech. could be carburated if you shoehorn it in there and can manage to get the driveline to fit where there currently is a lil v6.

Id say its not worth the time/effort
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
first off...Puting the engine in the boat isnt gonna be a simple drop in as it currently has a lil ol tiny one in there....

Then...im not sure about that engine but there is a kit for the lsX engines for a carbed intake, ignition box, etc. So YES it tech. could be carburated if you shoehorn it in there and can manage to get the driveline to fit where there currently is a lil v6.

Id say its not worth the time/effort
seems like the boat has enough space for a bigger engine but we will look at that for sure before we start getting parts together, thanx for the observation

i just found this kit: Edelbrock 7118, u think this is what he needs to make it carb? anyone else made a lsx engine carb? how does it work?

thank you for your answer, and like a said its not my boat just asking for a good friend of mine
Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cost of LSX marine manifolds are really high.. Also with it being a aluminum head and block, if the boat is used in salt water will make the aluminum very susceptible to corrosion from the salt.. Or it can be converter into a FWC system.. That will be costly also.. There is carbed set ups available, but are also very costly.. Basically unless you have money to blow, some time to do it, it will be cheaper to build a nice sbc specific for a marine set up... As far as bolting up, the ls block should bolt to a bravo-alpha bell..
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
The cost of LSX marine manifolds are really high.. Also with it being a aluminum head and block, if the boat is used in salt water will make the aluminum very susceptible to corrosion from the salt.. Or it can be converter into a FWC system.. That will be costly also.. There is carbed set ups available, but are also very costly.. Basically unless you have money to blow, some time to do it, it will be cheaper to build a nice sbc specific for a marine set up... As far as bolting up, the ls block should bolt to a bravo-alpha bell..
seems like hes getting a very good deal on the z06 engine thats why hes ok spending some money on this built, boat will never see salt water

i found some manifolds: http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/p/85...manifolds.html

is that a fair price for the manifolds?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of boat is it? The motor set ups on an inboard/outboard are obviously a lot different than a vehicle. SICK5.0 is probably right it is going to be a lot of work! It would be an awesome build, but he might be better off getting a newer mercruiser or whatever motor it has, of a bigger size and modding that. My dad is a boat freak and I have always tried getting him to mod his motors and apparently it's not a walk in the park, but what the hell do I know. lol

If you put a Z06 motor in that boat I'd be worried about it chine walking and flipping over.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds ambitious. I wouldn't do it because of the amount of custom fab that's required but it would be cool to own!!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i´ll check today what kinda boat it is and let you know

thank you for your opinions
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Depending on what kind of drive the boat has, it may not be able to handle the extra power. The LS swap is getting popular in the jet boats these days.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a detailed swap on the conversion section on LS1tech

You can also use the manifolds off of the Ford 351 . . . but they have to be redrilled for the mounts, but the ports match right up

Quick Reply: Z06 swap into a boat