Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

'00 Silverado Remote Start Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Silverado Remote Start Help Needed

I bought a high end system that's both a remote starter and an alarm system. Truck specific istructions provided, (along with the OEM owners manual),are pretty straight forward. A lot of the connections are made in the ignition harness at or in the steering column.

Does anyone have the picture work or the ignition harness for my truck, it's location and more specifically wire color coding and function support, (ie; schematic?)

I'm sure I can get through this no problem with what I have to work with, but the extra help would be appreciated.

Thanks, V1
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a remote start (no alarm) install for my 2001 Silverado. I found a PDF file online that was useful for finding which wires exactly to use. If you google search "Chevrolet Silverado 1988-2005.pdf" you will find it. Page 14 of 18 has the information for the 2001. I might be able to answer some questions you might have, maybe. I didn't take notes on pin location, etc.. but since I did it just 4 days ago, it's still fresh. Mine works great and I love it so far, I can start my truck from my 2nd floor cube in my office building. The only part that I had to do but did not expect, was to build a relay setup for changing the polarity of the lock/unlock output from the remote start system from negative to positive. The lock/unlock didn't work at first, but works great now that the polarity was reversed. Let me know if you have questions.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing I will mention, the ignition harness, which as you know many of the most important wires tie into, is located behind the knee bolster, just to the left of the body control module. In the PDF I mention to download, the "brake wire" picture is showing what I thought was the ignition harness. Actually, the ignition harness is connected to the lock cylinder, where you put your key in. Follow the wires from that down the steering column, half go to the wire harness near the BCM and the other half go to the fuse box. Most of the wires you will connect to (starter, ignition 1 & ignition 2, accessory) come from near the lock cylinder to the fuse box. The red 12v+ goes into the harness near the BCM. I did read that the 2nd ignition wire (white) must be powered or transmission damage could result. Don't why, but I didn't question it and hooked it up.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KC,
Thanks for the heads-up. I have vehicle specific instructions but I already printed out the photos you provided the link to. Between the owners manual, your pics and the instructions that are quite specific, given some free time and warmer weather over the holidays, I should get through this just fine.

Looking forward to the luxury of pushing a button and having the truck be warm when I get there, (and of course cool in the summer).

Thanks again for your help.

V1
Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. I subscribed to this thread so I'll get an email if you post a question on here. Feel free to ask me whatever. Your install will probably be exactly like mine was (except for the alarm portion) and mine went smooth. Every connection is under the steering column, either to the ignition harness wires or BCM wires, except for the tach wire and hood pin switch, if you choose to install those. Good luck, sounds like you have it under control.