Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

01 5.3 in z71 knocking when started

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 5.3 in z71 knocking when started

Hello and first a great big thanks to N5XL, and others for helping me fix my coolant leak! I have a 01 Z71 pickup with a 5.3. i have a kn cold air ind. sys. and thats the only mod except a cat back flo-pro muffler system with 3" tubes into 4" dia tips. (Sigle Muffler) The biggest problem I still have is when you start the truck up when its cold it knocks like a diesel for about 30 seconds then quits. sounds terrible. truck doesnt burn much oil maybe a 1/2 quart in between oil change. Only other prob is when you really punch it on the road at 45mph it tends to ping a little. I have had this back to the dealership twice with the same probs. I am now out of warranty (75.000 mile extded warranty) for about 3,000 miles.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Mine has a bit of a rod knock before the oil warms up. 80K miles. Just switched to Mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Teching In

I just switched to mobil 1 also did not seem to help even got a little worse I think. Should I go raise heck with the dealer is there anything that can be done?. They showed me a sevice bulletin that said "carbon knock is normal on these engines". I think its bs is it?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Default flex-a-lite monster cooling fan

I am looking at buying a flex-a-lite monster cooling fan for my 01 Z71 with a 5.3. Are they realiable. Instulation instructions seem ok. Are they easy to install with no probs. ? Summit has one with 5500cfm for $399. Will it wreck my charging/electrical system with this load? 28amps max. I could get an LS1 fan for pretty cheap but dont mind spending a little extra for a better install with no probs.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Teching In

I am just as new to this as you are. I purchased mine to replace an 85 Silverado 4x4 with 4" lift & 36" Gumbo Mudders that I just spent an @ss load of $$ on. That one gone along with my 99 GMC Suburban 2500. I had just got the 'burb in June and had recently got the 4x4 driveable. Then a Hurricane came and took everything away. So I'm starting all over. That's why I am here to find the answers to the questions.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your truck has the CSK (cold start knock).. GM says its normal and I have never seen proof of a engine messing up because of it.. It is a pretty big problems in the 99-03's I believe.. I am one of the lucky ones who doesnt have it, but there are a ton of people out there that do..

A quick search yielded this..
There've been a lot of complaints about cold-start knock in the Vortec engine family, and most General Motor's customers are getting incomplete answers at dealerships. We've spoken with Matt Kester, assistant manager with GM Powertrain Product Communications, about the situation. He said General Motor's engineers are aware of the problem and are currently in a research stage. The cold-start knock involves the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L V-8s in all applicable GM cars and trucks from '99 to '02. They believe the cause is carbon buildup on the circumference of the piston above the top piston ring. This interference is affecting the dynamics of piston travel and therefore causing a knock. It seems the problem begins after the first 12,000 to 15,000 miles, and the knock will last between five and 30 seconds in temperatures below 50* after a cold startup. The noise also seems more pronounced after long trips and at lower temperatures. The use of a top engine cleaner will give only temporary results, if any, and a replacement engine without modifications would most likely develop similar symptoms. We were also told that a Technical Service Bulletin is in the process of publication, which should provide an explanation of the condition but not a fix, and that carbon deposits and associated knock are not causing any structural damage to the engine. So, for now, don't let it bother you. We'll give you further details when the TSB becomes available.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 AM
Teching In

I had not noticed this before switching to blended synthetic oil. What type oil are you running?
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run Amsoil Synthetic.. You might want to try a bottle of Sea Foam and see if that doesnt do the trick.. GM recommends a top engine cleaner, like Sea Foam.. Just spray a bottle of it in the Intake.. let truck sit for about 30 minutes, start it up and enjoy the smoke show
Old 12-31-2005, 04:07 AM
Teching In

I've witnessed that process before. My X ran Amsoil in his truck.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Teching In

There is a chance that your engine may have a knicked o-ring on the oil pump pick up tube. There are 2 styles. Your engine's oil pump sucks air momentairly on start up. You may also expierience noise like a collapsed lifter if you get the oil hot enough and it thins out. It is a 01 concern, but my late model 00 was affected by it as well. The replacement is a tight fit, under an hour to replace on a hoist.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 01 5.3 in z71 knocking when started