Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

02 Avalanche Gauge Cluster/Odometor problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Avalanche Gauge Cluster/Odometor problems

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your help and ideas, I have another one for your that has had me ignorning this little pain for about a yr or so on my truck. The odometor on my avalanche is digital, and all the rest of the gauges are your stock needled gauges. All of the gauges on my truck currently work and are all working prefectly fine except for my Odometor. The digital odometor and Digital display that shows what gear I am in (Auto Trans) does not light up. Rear ended 2 people and since the 1st person was hit the light would flicker on and off. after the 2nd person I cant get the digital lights to come on at all for the odometor but all the other gauges work fine. I did read on another forum a long time ago that this may be a factory defect for any models around the 2002 year???? I have also heard that I can send in my gauges and have them "re-built" and that fixes the issue.

After I was not able to find out what the cause was for the lights not coming on, I decided to take out the cluster and to my amazement it was plugged in . Im all out of ideas and if anyone knows of a good shop that can rebuild the cluster or clean it... let me know-

Thanx again
Tony
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Also just a little thing I forgot to mention, It seems as though this is affecting my door locks and also my power mirrors. My Power mirrors have since stopped working and also my door locks swith on the driver do not work if you try to adjust the mirrors or lock/unlock the doors

Thnx again-
Tony
Old 12-27-2010, 08:59 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does adjusting the dimmer switch alter the brightness of the lights in the other gauges?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

gm trucks had a problem with a bad solder connection on the backside of the odometer. take the cluster out, then take it apart to expose the backside of the guages. i believe its one of the solders right on the end... youll see a weak and possibly broken/disconnected solder. mine had this problem, after a google search i found this out and there is a write up on some site- like i said i found on google and did the fix right then. anyway, it was a quick and easy fix.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bighoss77
gm trucks had a problem with a bad solder connection on the backside of the odometer. take the cluster out, then take it apart to expose the backside of the guages. i believe its one of the solders right on the end... youll see a weak and possibly broken/disconnected solder. mine had this problem, after a google search i found this out and there is a write up on some site- like i said i found on google and did the fix right then. anyway, it was a quick and easy fix.
This. I just asked this exact same question a few days ago on avalancheownersclub, my 02 Avalanche had the same problem. I'd be willing to bet it's a bad solder connection and the issue appearing after your wreck is just a coincidence.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrX
Does adjusting the dimmer switch alter the brightness of the lights in the other gauges?
Yes- The dimmer works fine, the entire dash works perfectly with the only exception being that the digital odometor portion does not come on.

I have read the same thing on other forums but have never thought to try and fix it myself, But I have nothing to loose at this point and if I cant fix it well then hell denali_on_26's said that he can fix the issue for me .

We got our first snow here this week so its extra cold out today 6* but when it warms up a little I will try to go out and tear into this dash and bust out the solder gun. While Im at it I will post picks of me cutting the bottom of my stock airbox out to make it more of a Ram Air/CAI.