Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2bar OS - Alky injection tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2bar OS - Alky injection tuning

Guys, Looking for advise.

I am wrapping up my 2bar sd HPT tuning and ready to turn my methanol injection back on.

Thinking about it now I don't know how to properly approach tuning the PE fueling once the alcohol is flowing. The kit starts spraying at 2psi boost and ramps proportional to boost. In my non 2bar tune I just commanded about 13.2 AFR in PE enrich and with the alky I got my wanted 11.8ish WOT AFR.

The 2 bar has PE enrich and Boost enrich tables, defaulting to the richer of the 2. Ideally I think I would want to use the boost enrich table to pull the fuel since its map driven for better control of the fueling with alky. Problem is if I command 13.2 in this table it will then revert to the PE enrich table since I would then be commanding richer there.

What are my options?

I don't see anyway to work with any of the fuel adder tables to do what I want.

Can I just tune VE with the alky and make it all work?

Maybe run a 50/50 mixture of alky/water to reduce its fueling and probably get the boost enrich table to work?

TIA for any input.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first started my alky tuning i realized that problem instantly ofcourse, but never gave it much thought before that. I tuned my VE table for it. With the ramping effect you should be able to get pretty consistent scans.

My alky controller died, so I have been alky-less for a while, but when I get back to alky...I am raising my boost enabe to around 5psi. I don't see the need (in scans) for the meth down low in a radix setup. I mean...BAM you are at 7-8 psi. It seems easier to tune an alky tune for the street if the boost enable was higher. I mean, if I fart I am at 2-3psi. Do you have any kind of rpm trigger as well on your alky?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

No rpm trigger on the alky, strictly map. After thinking about it awhile I think VE is the only way to make it work like it should. Its gonna be a very strange looking table. It will be great to see a controlled AFR with alky if I can get it there. I know I was loosing some power with the previous setup.

I agree that maybe on at 2psi is a bit aggressive but I plan on throwing all the timing to it that it will stand via the IAT modifier table and the meth, even at 2 psi, will help. We will see.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM

shweet...keep us posted. Yeh my ve table was definitely "wrong" looking after incorporating the alky. It was so wrong looking it just said, "YOUR MOTOR WILL DIE W/O ALKY" LOL
Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Hello Dave

Remind me how the BE table works within HPT...
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only available in the 2bar OS. From the help file

"Boost Enrich: This table is an Equivalence Ratio (just like the PE table) and referenced to MAP. The PCM will use the richer of this table and the PE table to determine fueling. It is useful for some supercharged and turbocharged engines where boost does not always correlate to RPM."
Attached Thumbnails 2bar OS - Alky injection tuning-.jpg  
Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Only available in the 2bar OS. From the help file

"Boost Enrich: This table is an Equivalence Ratio (just like the PE table) and referenced to MAP. The PCM will use the richer of this table and the PE table to determine fueling. It is useful for some supercharged and turbocharged engines where boost does not always correlate to RPM."
Yeah, I mean how is it configured? is it a single column table? Or a complete RPMvsMAP table that you define fueling on?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a single column. EQ ratio vs. map. Starting 100KPA -> 210KPA in 5KPA increments. Posted a screen shot above.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Its a single column. EQ ratio vs. map. Starting 100KPA -> 210KPA in 5KPA increments. Posted a screen shot above.
That's what I was thinking it would be.

For my money, I would shoot for an accurate VE table and utilize the BE table for compensating for the meth. Of course, that would require VE tuning without the meth active. If that required pulling back a couple of degrees of timing in the higher load region to accomplish this safely, so be it. Your VE table isn't just responsible for fueling. Any PCM calculation that takes airmass would be affected by the inaccurate VE table.

Just my .02
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by dc_justin
That's what I was thinking it would be.

For my money, I would shoot for an accurate VE table and utilize the BE table for compensating for the meth. Of course, that would require VE tuning without the meth active. If that required pulling back a couple of degrees of timing in the higher load region to accomplish this safely, so be it. Your VE table isn't just responsible for fueling. Any PCM calculation that takes airmass would be affected by the inaccurate VE table.

Just my .02
But then this would mean he has super lean commands in the BE table. The pcm wil choose the richer of the 2 tables (PE or BE). So it woud choose the PE table defeating the whole purpose of leaning out the commanded afr. The pcm would never choose the BE table.

I agree the VE table isn't the "prime" place to make these changes (sense it isn't really responsible for fueling), but it is only sensible area due to the pe/be rich pick.

Quick Reply: 2bar OS - Alky injection tuning