Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4L80E Transmission tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you really need to do is log GM.GEAR and see when 2nd gear is commanded... see if that's being delayed.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. I will have to wait to get that answer though. Late April good for you?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my TransGo kit I see a 200 to 400 difference in programed shift RPM , meaning if I command 5200 shift RPM it will shift at 5400 or 5600 WOT but PT (below 90% TP) shifts at commanded RPM .
Think that has something to do with the Shift Kit , line pressure and time it takes the PCM to command the shift .
Old 03-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Interesting. So, its not just me. You and Thuder550 have had the same issues. I am gonna wait until I get home and load this new tune and see what she does. If it fixes it, then I can adjust the shift rpm up until I get it where I want it.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been following this thread closely as I have very similar problems with my 80E. I do not have much valuable input because I do not have tuning software.

BUT... First, my trans with the HD shift kit shifts super hard even though my tuner has reduced a lot of the shift firmness. Second, when my truck downshifts from 2-1 at WOT, it will almost always hit the rev limter. When I take off in first, it is usually fine.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
I have been following this thread closely as I have very similar problems with my 80E. I do not have much valuable input because I do not have tuning software.

BUT... First, my trans with the HD shift kit shifts super hard even though my tuner has reduced a lot of the shift firmness. Second, when my truck downshifts from 2-1 at WOT, it will almost always hit the rev limter. When I take off in first, it is usually fine.
Hard shift is from to large of hole in valve body plate , reduce the hole to .076 instead of .096 and it will be much tamer (have the tranny shop that did it do it) , then tune with software for desired firmness .
Yeah haven't really figured out why the TransGo kits do that but that is what I see also , seems the trans kit overrides the PCM and shifts off pressure .

Hope that helps !
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HD6.0l
Hard shift is from to large of hole in valve body plate , reduce the hole to .076 instead of .096 and it will be much tamer (have the tranny shop that did it do it) , then tune with software for desired firmness .
Yeah haven't really figured out why the TransGo kits do that but that is what I see also , seems the trans kit overrides the PCM and shifts off pressure .

Hope that helps !
Great info... How do you reduce the size of the hole though?

Sorry to hijack your thread.. 1slow.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 AM

No worries man. I have the same 1-2 hard shift. I have adjusted everything trying to get rid of it. I even hooked up a pressure gauge and ran it in the cab and drove around logging actual fluid pressure.
From what I have been told we will have to pull the trans, flip it upside down and pull the pan. I guess if you do it in the ruck the check ***** can/will fall out and its a bitch to get them back in right. Next pull the seperator plate and basically shot peen (hammer) the hole closed as much as possible and then re-drill with the smaller drill bit. Easy fix but a lot of labor and time.
If anybody else knows a better way I'm all ears.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
No worries man. I have the same 1-2 hard shift. I have adjusted everything trying to get rid of it. I even hooked up a pressure gauge and ran it in the cab and drove around logging actual fluid pressure.
From what I have been told we will have to pull the trans, flip it upside down and pull the pan. I guess if you do it in the ruck the check ***** can/will fall out and its a bitch to get them back in right. Next pull the seperator plate and basically shot peen (hammer) the hole closed as much as possible and then re-drill with the smaller drill bit. Easy fix but a lot of labor and time.
If anybody else knows a better way I'm all ears.
No you don't have to flip trans upside down and take pan off , the check ***** are lose but are not that hard to get back in , just use some Vaseline to hold them in place (will not hurt trans) when re-installing .
Yep shot peen the holes and re-drill , or buy a new plate about $20 and re-drill smaller holes (forgot , the new plate would have to have a couple of places blocked off) , what I use is a "drift" because of the flat end and tap it firmly a few time and then check the hole to see if it reduced in size .
I to apologize to DC_Justin and BlackGMC , did not mean to take over thread .

Last edited by HD6.0l; 03-08-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I would do the new plate and get some new plugs for it. They are pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Transmission tuning question