Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

5.3 pinging bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 pinging bad

Finally got the supercharger fixed and now its running lean. Scanner says right and left banks are lean. Iv'e had Allen back the timing down already and its still pinging. Now I'm wondering if the injectors are maxed out. and making it run lean, which in turn is where the pinging is coming from. I have another month till the 6.0L is done and then the swap. But I need it to tow with next weekend. I'm waiting for Allen to return my call now to see if he can do something for me now. I got a set of 43lb'ers at home. Guess I might have to go ahead and throw them in to fix the problem.
Anybody have thoughts on this.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try running some 100 octane gas thru it, and see if the pinging stops. Sunoco 94 should help, too. But for good measure, get the 100, if you can find it. You just mnight have some bad gas. That's what happened to me on my California trip. Ran some 100 octane Unocal thru it, and it's good as new.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I run only 93 octane in it also. Thought about trying some octane boost to see if that would help also.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badsilverado
I run only 93 octane in it also. Thought about trying some octane boost to see if that would help also.
where the hell is drayden at...is that in St Mary's? way down there in southern maryland right?

Yeh throw a bottle of boost in it. If you have the availibility of 110, grab a gallon or so of that.

No codes? fuel pressure low? fpr bad? fuel filter? imagine you have thought of these already...trying to think of no code scenario's.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd try to get at least 5 gallons of the highest octane unleaded race gas you can get to kind of wash the system clean.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Launching!

Put a bottle of Octane boost in it this morning on the way to work and didn't help none. The codes its throwing is lean on bank 1 and 2. No other codes. I don't have a way of checking fuel pressure. Maybe my stock injectors are maxing out? I'm using my old Predator for a scanner, since thats all its good for. Knock retard is at 0 when its wot and pinging, but half throttle its up to 7.5 knock retard and its not pinging then.
Drayden is down in St. Mary's. Where u from dewmanshu?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:09 AM

Drayden is down in St. Mary's. Where u from dewmanshu?
Live in Knoxville (west of Frederick), work in Gaithersburg.

How long have you had your setup with no pinging? I mean the stock injector theory is okay, but there was no ping before? And your showing no kr on the scanner at WOT? Hate to ask...but no holes or leaks in the exhaust anywhere before the cats. Tiny leak in the collector sounds like nothing at part throttle until you blast a 9psi WOT run at it.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Launching!

No exhaust leaks. It was alright at the beginning and just has been getting worse and worse. I don't even have to be at full throttle for it to ping.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 AM

No exhaust leaks. It was alright at the beginning and just has been getting worse and worse. I don't even have to be at full throttle for it to ping.
part throttle, yank 3000 stall...I am a big believer it is near impossible NOT to have the kr sensors pick up some form of knock at part throttle. We all suffer that...tuning it out once you are sure it's not real kr is a possibility, but in short if you get no kr at WOT, why care too much, as long as the part throttle kr is not really kr.

But your getting audible kr and no sensor activity at WOT. Is the kr at part throttle audible? When is your 6.0 going in? If you are trashing the 5.3 after the install...let it go I'd say. Don't put money into something you are gonna get rid of in a few weeks. It could be a hundred things if it has been getting worse with time.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Mostly was just trying to see if it was a simple fix, cause I'm towing my camper next weekend down to Charlotte to do the Richard Petty driving experience. I can get another truck, which I am seriously considering. Just think how bad it would ping with a camper behind it. The thing is, I've towed with the same exact setup before and it was never a problem.

Quick Reply: 5.3 pinging bad