Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

'99 5.3 Has a Bad Misfire and Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 55Hdtp
I'll re-gap them to .040" then. I still need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what that is reading. I don't think it's the plugs causing the problem though. The engine sometimes runs so bad the whole truck shakes like a wheel is about to fall off and other times the miss is barely noticeable unless you are accelerating hard. If it was plugs, it should more consistent. Some cylinders have a few misfires, some have none, and number 7 has thousands. Cylinder 7 has some kind of gremlin that I just can't locate. I'm contemplating pulling out the whole engine wiring harness to check it over and test resistance on each individual wire.
So you have a scan tool capable of reading cylinder misfires?

If thats the case can you do a cylinder balance test and drop cylinder #7 to see if there is any change?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue, just bought the truck ran great (far from stock) took it to my tuner due to a high rpm misfire. After it was deemed untuneable, started going through gm protocall and narrowed it down to excessive crankshaft endplay due to bad thrust bearings on the crank. What is happening with my truck is, under load the crank is being pushed so far forward the reluctor wheel is out of the range of the crank sensor causing it to throw a continuous crank sensor code. So now i'm tracing the problem back to the trans and finding out exactly what caused it. Just to rule out a major problem maybe warm the truck up, obviously shut it off, and then try to move the harmonic balancer forward with a prybar. Mine was extremely bad. Hopefully its nothing serious. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
So you have a scan tool capable of reading cylinder misfires?

If thats the case can you do a cylinder balance test and drop cylinder #7 to see if there is any change?
My scan tool does show misfires, live data, and freeze frame data, but it won't shut off cylinders for a balance test. I can do a balance test though by pulling the injector wires one-by-one while keeping the rpm's steady and note the changes.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 AM

nightmare99, that would make sense and definitely explain a lot. I'll check for play and see. Hopefully, it's not that though.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the valve cover and look at the valve springs and rockers for cyl 7.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a burnt valve?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Any updates?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Pull the valve cover and look at the valve springs and rockers for cyl 7.
The valve springs, rockers, and pushrods were removed and checked. Nothing was bent, broken, or worn. Spring pressure was still good. The valves were readjusted. But the problem was still there.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Sounds like a burnt valve?
The shop already did a leak down test, and it passed with flying colors. That eliminates a burnt valve.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check all the ground wires?

There's two or three behind the intake, and I think two behind the p/s pump(one is batt-engine ground).

My truck had a bad relay and was throwing a MAF code because of it. I know that seems totally unrelated, but try moving the relays around in your underhood fusebox. It won't cost you anything, so it's worth a try...

Quick Reply: '99 5.3 Has a Bad Misfire and Codes