Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

abs problems 02 silvy 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs problems 02 silvy 4x4

hey guys. i have been having an issue with my abs on my 02 silvy. basically what happens is that it kicks on when braking and the speed drops below about 7-10 mph ( almost making me go flying into a busy intersection) also no abs code is triggered. i figured it was a dirt/bad sensor so i got my hands on a scan tool to see what sensor was the problem, the drivers side seemed to be giving the bad sensor. i replaced it with a brand new one and the problem still occurred. so i looked at the actual sensor info. the scan tool said that the drivers side sensor was not reading any speed under the 7-10 mph mark then over that threshold it stayed in sync with the passenger side and the rear sensor. i have been driving around with the sensor unplugged but now its time for inspection and i would like to get it fixed correctly. if i could get my hands on an o-scope i would like to check to see what the signal is actually getting but i cant get one for quite a wile

if you have had this problem or have any insight into this problem it would greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Get quite a scare don't ya? When mine did it and I almost crashed into a car. Just totally ridiculous. Anyway from my experience it was my drivers sensor. I also cleaned up a couple grounds, one in particular I was told was for the ABS unit. Its under by the drivers side door, bolted to the frame. Until I got it fixed I just pulled the ABS fuse.

I know that probably doesn't help but just letting you know you are NOT the only one.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

i have heard that its not an uncommon problem...ill try to clean up the ground and see what it does but I'm not getting my hopes up lol....thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

What size are the tires you are currently running???
Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a front hub going bad, with a high end scanner you can watch the speed input of the right/left hub and see which one looses the speed signal. When the signal is lost the abs module reacts like a wheel has locked up.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

stock size 265 75 16. i would hate to have to put a new hub in it lol i really hope thats not it
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseByrd
stock size 265 75 16. i would hate to have to put a new hub in it lol i really hope thats not it
As long as that is what came stock. The reason I ask is because you can actually go in and change the tire size in the ABS module. I had this issue on my truck after I got my first set of new tires. If the tire size is not correct then the ABS can actually activate prematurely or not activate soon enough depending on which way the size is off.

If you have dirty break fluid you can also get a spongy affect. This can also add to your issue of premature ABS activation.

Your going to need a good scan tool that can display Wheel speed data or a scope to see what the sensors are reading. If thats were the problem lays, You may get lucky with just the sensor but chances are you will need a wheel bearing assembly.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-007D
Date: May 01, 2009
Subject: Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface)
Models:
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
2003-2006 Chevrolet Express
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
1999-2006 GMC Sierra
2001-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2006 GMC Savana
2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2003-2006 HUMMER H2 Supercede:This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 Silverado/Sierra Classic models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-05-25-007C (Section 05 - Brakes). Condition
Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.
Correction
Measure AC voltage and clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual. 2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor connectors at the frame and harness. 3. Place a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) across the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector. 4. Rotate the wheel clockwise approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. If the reading is less than 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel speed sensor. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual. 5. Plug the wheel speed sensor bore in order to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service. 6. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, scotch brite, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion. 7. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor. 8. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (in Canada, P/N 89022218). 9. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (in Canada, P/N 993037). 10. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual. 11. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's. Parts Information

Place unused material on dealer shelf for future use.
Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table above.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAFETY
Bulletin No.: 05068C
Date: March 06, 2008
Subject:
05068C - FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CORROSION Models:
1999-2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2000-2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE, SUBURBAN
2002 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
1999-2002 GMC SIERRA
2000-2002 GMC YUKON, YUKON XL LOCATED IN THE SEVERE CORROSION AREAS LISTED BELOW
Supercede:
Some breakpoints in this bulletin have been revised. Additional vehicles that have moved into the severe corrosion areas have been added. Please discard all copies of bulletin 05068B, issued April 2006.
Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 2000-2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, 1999-2002 GMC Sierra, 2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles located in the areas shown above. These vehicles may have a condition permitting corrosion to occur between the front hub/bearing assembly and the wheel speed sensor. If the brakes are applied while the vehicle is traveling at a speed of greater than 6 km/h (3.7 mph) but less than 16 km/h (10 mph) the corrosion may cause an unwanted anti-lock brake system (ABS) activation. If this condition occurred where stopping distance is limited a crash could occur.
Correction
Dealers are to inspect clean and treat the affected area. In some cases the front wheel speed sensor may require replacement.
Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 2000-2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, 1999-2002 GMC Sierra and 2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles located in severe corrosion areas and built within the VIN breakpoints shown.
Important: Dealers retailers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) prior to beginning recall repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.] For dealers with involved vehicles a Campaign Initiation Detail Report (CIDR) containing the complete vehicle identification number customer name and address data has been prepared and will be loaded to the GM DealerWorld (US) Recall Information. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The Campaign Initiation Detail Report may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
Note: Very few vehicles will require front wheel speed sensor replacement; if required order appropriate part from GMSPO. Customer Reimbursement
All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the recall condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center not by dealers.
Important: (For GM US Only) Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement. Claim Information

Submit a Product Recall Claim with the information shown.
Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter shown in this bulletin).
Dealer Recall Responsibility
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
All unsold new vehicles in dealers possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers regardless of mileage age of vehicle or ownership from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is shown in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory or is in your dealership for service in the future you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.