Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Another wideband thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wideband thread

i'm gonna start tuning on my own with HPT and i wanna get a wideband that will interface with it to make tuning easier. i have been reading other threads and it seems that everyone likes the Innovative LC-1 and the PLX. i also read that the innovative was cheaper, but i went on ebay and found the innovative for $399 and the PLX for as low as $245. the PLX is the DM-5 wideband with guage and software. is that the right PLX system, and if so, why is the innovative so much more $?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I consistently have seen the lc-1 for 200$ (lane automotive) they are only a 20 minute drive from me. However I have heard that innovate motorsports have re-done there software and is causing a drastic increase in price off all their products. The LM-1 has been discontinued was 349$ the replacement LM-2 is now 499$ where available.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

is the LC-1 for $200 the kit that includes the gauge or not? what do you guys recommend? i read the sticky about the wideband review and the innovative was the best. i heard that it was difficult to install though, while the PLX was much simpler.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are going to purchase hp tuners, I would do it right, get the pro version then I would get one of the innovate widebands. The LM-1 is easier to hook up with the box from what I hear. The LC-1 I think you have to tap into what would be the EGR pin on the pcm. But dont quote me on that. Basically it's worth it to upgrade to the LM-1 it is much easier to move from vehicle to vehicle too.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been using the PLX for a while now and it is working fine I am very happy with it.

I don't put any stock at all in that article in the stickies. If you do a little more research about that article you find that it was sponsored by innovate, so of course they are going to come out on top. Also I have seen posts that discredit the testing methods in the article as inaccurate. I believe Greg Banish is one of the ones who disagrees with the testing methods used posted over in the HPT forums.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with the innovate products. I just don't like seeing references to that article pop up when from the research I have done it appears to be total crap.

Plus I got my PLX DM-5 through a member here (who is a sponsor on tech) for $225 shipped.

Now all that being said I have also seen very good reports on the NGK AFX wideband setup which can be had for about $250. Problem is it comes with a square gauge and most people want round.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

A friend of mine let the smoke out of two LC-1 controllers due to engine heat but he also drives a dang G20 van. The LC-1 is a bit more affordable but it looks like you're dealing with egg shells with its controller. I opted for the PLX unit and have got it mounted safely inside the cab away from heat, water, rocks, ect. I've had it for almost a month and have no regrets so far. Got it from www.moates.net and yes you can find them cheaper like on ebay but I've bought everything from Craig and he is an amazing guy and customer service after the sale is important to me.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the input guys. i think i'm gonna go with the PLX and i'll probably buy it through a sponsor or my local keystone dealer. customer service is big for me too, i'm only 20 so a lot of places dont give me the time of day to help. i will pay more if it means i can deal with good people everytime.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another question. i the PLX says it has the ability to act like a narrowband for the vehicles computer, does that mean that i can remove one of my factory O2s and replace it with the PLX wideband so i dont have to weld in another O2 bung? sorry, i'm a newbie to WBs.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmann
I've been using the PLX for a while now and it is working fine I am very happy with it.

I don't put any stock at all in that article in the stickies. If you do a little more research about that article you find that it was sponsored by innovate, so of course they are going to come out on top. Also I have seen posts that discredit the testing methods in the article as inaccurate. I believe Greg Banish is one of the ones who disagrees with the testing methods used posted over in the HPT forums.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with the innovate products. I just don't like seeing references to that article pop up when from the research I have done it appears to be total crap.

Plus I got my PLX DM-5 through a member here (who is a sponsor on tech) for $225 shipped.

Now all that being said I have also seen very good reports on the NGK AFX wideband setup which can be had for about $250. Problem is it comes with a square gauge and most people want round.
I have been meaning to unstick those articles for that exact reason. I have DynoJet and it interfaces just fine as well. Maybe because there are more Innovative products out there, but I certainly read more trouble threads dealing with the LC-1. Innovative is the trusted tailpipe set up, so who knows. But I am glad I caught this thread...unstickying those wideband comparisons now.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good call on the "unstickying" that article confused the hell out of me and had me ready to drop $400 on the innovative without question.

Again, anybody know if the PLX can be used as a wideband and also substitute for one of the fatory O2s so i dont have to drill any holes in my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Another wideband thread