Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Anyone ever pulled a handheld tune with HPT/EFILive

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever pulled a handheld tune with HPT/EFILive

Just wondering if anyone has ever pulled a tune from someone's vehicle that had a handheld programmer on it to see what it actually changed. Kinda interested since i know of ton of people that go with handheld programmers instead of getting a custom tune done. Was thinking that if someone had made a side-by-side comparison of different programmers, it would make it easier to convince someone to go with a tune from EFI Live or HP tuners.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done it before with a hypertech... The only thing changed was about 2* of timing in the upper RPM and a slight touch up to the VE table..
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Main reason I ask is cause a buddy of mine is dead set on the diablo trinity.. It seems to be by far the best handheld around, but its also the same price as HPtuners pro IIRC. Didn't want him wasting his money
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe diablo is a little different... You can actually change the mixture and add timing... The way they change the mixture is by adjusting the IFR up/down... This is not the best way todo it but never the less it is the easiest and it somewhat works... the Diablo is better than the hypertech, at least IMO...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I did it off a buddies truck. I don't know what it had for a tuner because he bought the truck used under the assumption it was stock ( because otherwise it is) and the tune most definetely is not. I think it was a Diablo that tuned it honestly because things were odd.

The truck is an 05 1500HD ( twin to my own) and it had a nice aggressive timing curve that works pretty well..... needs some adjustment. The truck has around 26-27 degrees of advance at WOT. But then things like the Power enrichment delay were still present along with most of the abuse management and torque limiting. Shift points were stock but the rev limiter was a ridiculous 6500 rpm.... way too high for a stock LQ4. VE table is all stock as well, but the LT fuel trims are good so its fine for now.

All it did was change the lockup rpm by a minor amount over stock, limiter and timing.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have the stock tune from a 2004 Tahoe and the super chips tune with a magnacharger
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have done it before with a hypertech... The only thing changed was about 2* of timing in the upper RPM and a slight touch up to the VE table..
That's basically what I found in my buddy's truck. His was 2002 like my own and he installed the "93 octane" tune which simply added 5* of timing in higher load cells. Everything else was as delivered from GM...If Diablo mods IFR's to "tune", then they are no better than the hack at your local inexperienced dynoshop or whatever. That's not tuning, that's hacking, plain and simple.

Several years ago a well known, and popular LS1 specialty shop near me dyno-tuned my old LS1 Camaro, since I was a *EEK* Mustang guy at the time. The car ran great at the track, but subpar at best at any other time. I had a stalling issue on the road, and in the meantime fell into a sweet deal on HPTuners ($150), so I had the ability to make any changes, but not the skill to know what to do. FROST, a sponsor on LS1tech helped me via email tunes for free to get me able to get back home without anymore drama. He never badmouthed the guy who did my $500 dynotune, but told me his tuning was not correctly done. He did the IFR hack thing and a lot of other stuff was never touched that needed to be, so with his help and much reading, I was able to get the car close to a stock feeling driver, that ran mid 11's all day long...instead of a mid 11 second car that was a POS at any time other than drag racing...sorry to rant, but IFR raping sucks and anyone who does it is either too lazy to tune correctly, or a hack...(rant over)

Buying any handheld flash programmer for the same price as a real tuning software program is nothing short of a big mistake IMHO. Not to mention the "user" isn't learning anything by pushing a load tune to ecm button. If the HPTuners or EFILive is too much to grasp at first, the user can always have outside help as far as any tuning changes (via email or PM) and by using the compare file function can see what was changed and slowly but surely understand why so and learn themselves what the vehicle does or does not like...
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Launching!

'08 Sierra with Superchips Flashpaq:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-4l60e-490301/

'08 F150 5.4L, Superchips Flashpaq:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...etting-462741/
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Corvette & Mustang Moderator

You can't read a Diablo tune with HP Tuner. I tried, the tune is blocked except to their handheld.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
traveling mod

Ive read that what one can see via efi or hp is based off how the code was read/broke on the ecm,meaning the way hp/efi writes the code maybe different and not show everything from a handheld..

Quick Reply: Anyone ever pulled a handheld tune with HPT/EFILive