Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Anyone ever pulled a handheld tune with HPT/EFILive

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my stock 2000 5.3 tune and a hypertech 93oct tune along with a superchips 93 tune.
My first tune i did by myself ran better, didnt ping and got better gas mileage.
The hypertech didnt change anything except the timing and it was wayy too high in low rpm / high load cells.

Superchips looked better but maxed out the line pressure on all the trans tables.
It was alot better than the hypertech but still sucked.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew383
Ive read that what one can see via efi or hp is based off how the code was read/broke on the ecm,meaning the way hp/efi writes the code maybe different and not show everything from a handheld..
But if you get a good logged run stock and then one after the handheld, thats where you can see some of the changes. Final timing is what it is.
But skewing the IFR table isnt gonna show on the commanded AFR.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
Main reason I ask is cause a buddy of mine is dead set on the diablo trinity.. It seems to be by far the best handheld around, but its also the same price as HPtuners pro IIRC. Didn't want him wasting his money
It is a great tool

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I did it off a buddies truck. I don't know what it had for a tuner because he bought the truck used under the assumption it was stock ( because otherwise it is) and the tune most definetely is not. I think it was a Diablo that tuned it honestly because things were odd.

The truck is an 05 1500HD ( twin to my own) and it had a nice aggressive timing curve that works pretty well..... needs some adjustment. The truck has around 26-27 degrees of advance at WOT. But then things like the Power enrichment delay were still present along with most of the abuse management and torque limiting. Shift points were stock but the rev limiter was a ridiculous 6500 rpm.... way too high for a stock LQ4. VE table is all stock as well, but the LT fuel trims are good so its fine for now.

All it did was change the lockup rpm by a minor amount over stock, limiter and timing.
PE delay still on? That wasn't one of our tunes.

Originally Posted by rel3rd
That's basically what I found in my buddy's truck. His was 2002 like my own and he installed the "93 octane" tune which simply added 5* of timing in higher load cells. Everything else was as delivered from GM...If Diablo mods IFR's to "tune", then they are no better than the hack at your local inexperienced dynoshop or whatever. That's not tuning, that's hacking, plain and simple.
We do not touch IFR in any of our provided tunes, why would we even do that? Our tunes are designed for stock/bolt on vehicles.

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Buying any handheld flash programmer for the same price as a real tuning software program is nothing short of a big mistake IMHO. Not to mention the "user" isn't learning anything by pushing a load tune to ecm button. If the HPTuners or EFILive is too much to grasp at first, the user can always have outside help as far as any tuning changes (via email or PM) and by using the compare file function can see what was changed and slowly but surely understand why so and learn themselves what the vehicle does or does not like...
Thats a heck of a statement.
What if i told you we sell more E38 based tools in a month than HPt and EFI live sell E38 licenses in 3 or 4 months? Add up the rest of the handheld market, and its even more heavily swayed away from tuning suites.

Not everyone is looking to learn to tune, and learning to tune is not an overnight process. 99% of the people in the market for a tuner want to load a tune, put the tool away, and forget about it. We meet that need, with the ability to got a bit more in depth through logging and adjustable parameters, and then the tools support custom tuning from our CMR software, allowing the tools to grow with you to any level of modifications.

Originally Posted by Larry
You can't read a Diablo tune with HP Tuner. I tried, the tune is blocked except to their handheld.
Ummm, huh?
I've read our tunes off of any GM ECU with EFI live and HPt, and read HPt/EFI live tunes off PCMs with our tools as well. As long as the OS is not changed from a GM cal, or the seed/key is not changed, anything should be able to read anything. None of our tool allow you to change seed/key nor offer any custom OS options.

Originally Posted by andrew383
Ive read that what one can see via efi or hp is based off how the code was read/broke on the ecm,meaning the way hp/efi writes the code maybe different and not show everything from a handheld..
Nope, doesn't matter how you got it, everyone is reading the same 'data' from the ECU, and it all lives in the same place, no matter how you got in there
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In your 1st quote of me, I clearly said "IF" you all change IFR's...I don't do Diablo, so I don't know IF you do or do not.

In your 2nd quote of me, Point taken. Big Mistake, may be the incorrect terminology as I guess you guys do serve a market, and have been. I was mainly opinionated towards the Hypertech as that was what I have seen with my own eyes, and I'll stand 100% behind my opinion that THEY are junk, and don't really "tune" anything but your wallet.

I am sure Diablo sells much more product than HPT and EFILive as they're both scarcely mentioned/advertised outside of forums. I had not even heard of neither when I first came back to the GM scene after spending a dozen years in the Mustang world...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Because HP and EFILive aren't marketed to the individual user, and are more intended for shops and "tuners"...... Some of us buy it because we have zero satisfaction with handhelds and what they may or may not be capable of. Not to mention I can tune more than one thing at a time, lol.

They all have their place I suppose, but any custom tune ( be it CMR or EFI/HP) is better than any handhelds "canned" tunes.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took the time to read up on this thread, and I found a lot of the information pulled very interesting. I wish others could be convinced of the advantages of a real tune on their vehicles with just this thread alone, but some people are just dead set in their ways.

Diablo, you can get on this site and stand up for your boxed tunes all you want, but they don't hold a candle to EFILIVE or HPTuners. Sure, your products might be marketed for "stock" trucks, but even then, hooking a laptop is still that much better. Sales don't account for product quality. I don't even know how that would be a valid argument. Hell, most of the people that buy your product aren't even aware of the results certain parts have on their vehicle--that alone, mixed with broad advertisement, is enough to put you guys on top of sales. You all might be the best boxed "tune", but Diablo is not a true, in-depth tuner. I'm sorry.