Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

:Bang Head: idling issues just may be solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Make sure to put the PID (ign volt) in the graph table with RPM so you can REALLY see how fubar'ed it is.
Wow! That is FUBAR'd. Is your AC on? I see it at a couple places. Dips when you let off the throttle and accelerate. Is your battery clamped down? It's almost like something is shifting and shorting or drawing current? Is the belt slipping? I'm not coming up with anything that makes sense... Let me think about it a bit. Voltage regulator is internal to the Alternator isn't it? What shape is the battery in? Loose cell in the battery and shifting around... Pulling things out of my tail...

Watch your pulse width when it drops. OUCH!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Wow! That is FUBAR'd. Is your AC on? I see it at a couple places. Dips when you let off the throttle and accelerate. Is your battery clamped down? It's almost like something is shifting and shorting or drawing current? Is the belt slipping? I'm not coming up with anything that makes sense... Let me think about it a bit. Voltage regulator is internal to the Alternator isn't it? What shape is the battery in? Loose cell in the battery and shifting around... Pulling things out of my tail...

Watch your pulse width when it drops. OUCH!
I used to have a problem with the AC always cycling, it doesn't seem to do that any more, I'll run the status bits and see if it still is and if it has anything to do with the voltage.

No, the battery looks great, it's a cheap one, but that shouldn't matter. I have replaced under warranty just to see if it I had battery issues a year ago. Unless kooner is giving me a truck I am stuck with this one. And I'll never own anything other than return fuel anyway so new is out of the question. I keep watching that scan with the battery voltage along side the rpm and it just floors me. Too bad I can't run an Amp PID. That really show load and rule out any real loads.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 AM

I do have ONE fan running all the time. But I am being told I should see 13.8 if that was the case. I should be seeing 14.2 to 13.9 with no loads.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW I only see 13.5 -6 after running awhile. No loads. I do see 14.1 or so when I first start it.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Wow! That is FUBAR'd. Is your AC on? I see it at a couple places. Dips when you let off the throttle and accelerate.
After that scan when I pulled in, I smelled a smell that almost smelled like methanol. Sort of a mix between "arching" metal and racing alcohol. I don't how else to describe it.

So I took it out yesterday and logged Generator L in the status bits. It would shut off every time there was a dip. Leading me to believe it was either the pcm or a short on the ground of the alt (causing it to open the charge relay). I kept texting roger, justin, and josh...trying to get them to brain storm for me. I am lazy like that.

So today I tackled taking my wire harness apart, look for shorts, burnt wire, any indication of "foul play". I didn't get far, "crack" and then that same smell. I KNOW that smell...something is shorting out. I shook everything, moving this and moving that...nothing. So i continue on, I get to the back of the harness and...ready for this...the ground strap from the firewall to the motor hits the driver's side head..."crack". It freaking sparked. It was acting like I was rubbing it against the positive terminal of the battery. I have never...uh, I don't know what to look for at this point. The freaking cable is bolted to the very thing it is touching. I don't know what to do. So I left. Went back in the house, it was my 3yr old's nap time so we took a nap (ONE benefits of a youngin).

Come back out later, it doesn't spark now?!?!!? WTF...****. So, I made sure nothing was on the head or block, put wire loom on the ground strap and made sure it was securely bolted to the back of the motor. Shut the hood and went for an hour test driving. Being sure to stop and turn off truck a few times.

Every thing seems to be okay. Voltage is like Roger says, 13.6 to 13.8. It likes 13.6. I had one key on/off cycle it wanted to be lazy and idle low and drop lots of rpm when you let off the gas in cruise. That is the symptom of the past but the voltage stayed fine.

I don't know...ugh. I'll try it again late tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Vooodoooo.....
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
blownerator

I am willing to bet your problem is someplace in here:

Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am willing to bet your problem is someplace in here:

I dont see any problems, He has all the wires he needs right there
Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM

yeah yeah

I put all the relays for the meth and nitrous behind the rear seat instead of under the hood. I was thinking I might have something screwed up.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you have it grounded? if your ground strap is sparking you deff have a short somewhere that isn't fused.

Quick Reply: :Bang Head: idling issues just may be solved