Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Best Place to get a crank re-learn done

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Place to get a crank re-learn done

I live in east tx. I got a tune from wait4me and I need to get the crank re-learn done. I havn't thrown any codes and I have had my tune for about three months. The truck runs awesome, but Jesse told me that I should get it done some time for max results from the tune. The dealership wants like 80.00 to do it and i am not going to pay that much for it. Any ideas, I don't mind doing it in dallas. I am there pretty often and it is only 1.5 hours away. Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just call calling mechanic shops and ask them if they can do it.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn...I know a tech at the dealer and he did it for free in about 3 minutes in the service drive.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Norm02
I live in east tx. I got a tune from wait4me and I need to get the crank re-learn done. I havn't thrown any codes and I have had my tune for about three months. The truck runs awesome, but Jesse told me that I should get it done some time for max results from the tune. The dealership wants like 80.00 to do it and i am not going to pay that much for it. Any ideas, I don't mind doing it in dallas. I am there pretty often and it is only 1.5 hours away. Thanks
The crankshaft position system variation learning feature is used to calculate reference period errors caused by slight tolerance variations in the crankshaft, the crankshaft balancer interrupter rings, and crankshaft position sensor Hall Effect switches. the calculated eror allows the PCM to accurately compensate for reference period variations the crankshaft position system variation learning feature enhances the ability of the PCM to detect misfire events over a wider range of engine speed and load.

If a PCM is swapped from one vehicle into another, the CKP position variation must be relearned also (unless the PCM will be returned to the original vehicle). If a PCM is swapped without a CKP learn, the P1336 will not set and it is possible that a misfire DTC in the P0300 group might later set falsely. This is due to an incorrect CKP position value being stored in the PCM and being used in misfire calculation

CKP variation is only relearned with a scan tool. It does not relearn (by itself)
The PCM will turn the MIL (OFF) during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.

You do need to have a CASE learn done, But dont go out and spend your hard earned cheese by going to the dealer $80! Nor will it make your tune any better.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the clarification. So it won't make any difference as far as performance? I will get it done soon, just need to find a shop that has reasonable prices.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

OK, here is a question. Say you have two tunes, a performance tune and a economy tune. You have the crank re-learn done on them both. Every time you change them over will it need a crank re-learn or since they are both being used on the same vehicle it will be alright
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
OK, here is a question. Say you have two tunes, a performance tune and a economy tune. You have the crank re-learn done on them both. Every time you change them over will it need a crank re-learn or since they are both being used on the same vehicle it will be alright
You only need a CASE learn if the PCM is not from your truck. It will only need to be done ONE time, You can flash it as many tunes as you like. The CKP Variation is stored in the non-volatile memory by the PCM when a CASE learn is done.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Norm02
Thank you for the clarification. So it won't make any difference as far as performance? I will get it done soon, just need to find a shop that has reasonable prices.
Nope I would not expect more performance. Will help pervent false missfire codes/SES light.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

1Slow,
Let me rephrase my question and see if your answer is the same. I'm not talking about reflashing a new tune, I am saying if you have 2 different PCM's 1 with a performance tune and 1 with an economy tune, and you have done both a security learn and a crank relearn on them in your truck any time you swap them around will you need to do the crank relearn again.
Thanks
Mark
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

In your case you have done a CASE learn on each PCM and there is no need to do it again if you swap between the two.

Quick Reply: Best Place to get a crank re-learn done