Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Best tuning for 96 chevy 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tuning for 96 chevy 350

I have a friend that wants me to help make his truck fast. He has a stock 96 chevy with a 5.7l 350. i figured that a good tune or programmer is a great place to start. which do yall recommend for the best gains and have the most options. He wants pure power not worried about about gas mileage. Thanks for any help
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

don't go with a handheld, use your money for a custom tune from one of the sponsors to the right
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tunercat is the only software Im aware of for these vehicles at this time unfortunately.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok mr HP Tuner have a question along these lines. Jet I beleive bought the Tunercat and now sells the DST 14005. It will tune 1996 Vortec AND LS1 GM cars. It does not log though but has compare tables. Innovate Motorsports is coming out with their LM-2 that logs all OBDII parameters as well as wide band.

So it seems to me, not the GM computer beginner even, that the GM parameters must be close. So why can't the HP Tuners be used on the other earlier OBDII Vortec trucks as well as LS1/2s??

It would beat having to have two things to tune on them.

As far as hand helds the olf Hypertech I got for my 97 350 made it run SLOWER with their performance tune. I assume it just added so much timing it hi tthe knock sensor and retarded it way too much. So defintiely pass on the Hypertechs!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We've offered LS1 tuning for around 4 years now & LS2 tuning to the public for 2 years now, we just don't offer tuning/scanning for 96-97 vortec trucks, different pcm that is dissimilar to the 98+ pcm's.

I would check with innovate about their LM-2 which I don't believe is even out yet, and even if it is you really should verify that it works with those trucks as most scan tools I've seen will not scan the 96-97 trucks because of the differences.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

JET and MXScan will work.
However....I'd suggest a swap to an 0411 99+ LS1 PCM and then any software you like.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

My firend has used the JET on LS1 and a Vortec BBC truck and it worked fine. As I said I'm sure no expert but if you can tune 97-LS1s with JETs it would seem they are failry similar.

I know most of the mechanic shops had a OBDII scanner that can log and I thought it scanned the early and late ones.

I know the LM2 is not out yet but close.

IN THIS ISSUE:
OT-1 Now Shipping!
Modified Magazine XD-16 Feature
LM-2 Update
Wideband Shootout
LM-1 kits available from Titan Motorsports
RAD-1 - SEMA 2007 Award Winner!
2008 Product Catalog is available
Cash Partner Program for Site Owners

This is Innovate Motorsports' "Technology for Tuners" Newsletter, Issue #18. These updates are intended to keep you informed of tuning tips, firmware updates, application notes, new product releases, company news, and other useful information.

OT-1 OBD-II/CAN Interface Now Shipping!

The OT-1 allows you to read up to 16 channels of OBD-II (On Board Diagnostic) information directly from your vehicle's engine control unit (ECU) and integrate it into an Innovate MTS (Modular Tuning System) Log Chain. An MTS Log Chain can be logged (recorded) and analyzed on a personal computer using Innovate's award winning LogWorks software (included).

Click here to learn more about the OT-1!

Click here to place an order!

Be sure to check out this months issue of Modified Magazine. The article focuses on the features of the XD-16 Standalone Gauge Kit.

"From the get go you can quickly tell that you are dealing with a quality product from Innovate. The gauge is well built, has a clear digital display that is actually programmable so you can set the range of the meter and even change the colors if that's your thing.....With the price of this unit under $400 there's no excuse to not have one. It's by far the best and most important gauge to have in your car."

-Modified Magazine 2/2008

Click here to view our latest editorials

LM-2 Update!

There's good news and bad news about our forthcoming LM-2 Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter. The bad news is that it is delayed. We expect to continue development and validation through February & March, with full production starting shortly thereafter. The good news is that we are getting great response as far as new features of the LM-2. We are accepting pre-sales from our authorized resellers. MSRP will be slightly higher than originally expected. The LM-2 is going to be available for $479 USD for the single channel wideband (P/N: 3806), and $669 USD for the dual channel wideband (P/N: 3807). The interface will support all known protocols, including enhanced parameters for most cars sold in the US since 1996. Stay tuned.

It is basically the LM1 with their Opent tune taht is said to scan everything from 96 that is currently avaialble
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/OpenTune.pdf
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

My firend has used the JET on LS1 and a Vortec BBC truck and it worked fine. As I said I'm sure no expert but if you can tune 97-LS1s with JETs it would seem they are failry similar.

I know most of the mechanic shops had a OBDII scanner that can log and I thought it scanned the early and late ones.

I know the LM2 is not out yet but close.

IN THIS ISSUE:
OT-1 Now Shipping!
LM-2 Update
Wideband Shootout
LM-1 kits available from Titan Motorsports
RAD-1 - SEMA 2007 Award Winner!
2008 Product Catalog is available
Cash Partner Program for Site Owners

This is Innovate Motorsports' "Technology for Tuners" Newsletter, Issue #18. These updates are intended to keep you informed of tuning tips, firmware updates, application notes, new product releases, company news, and other useful information.

OT-1 OBD-II/CAN Interface Now Shipping!

The OT-1 allows you to read up to 16 channels of OBD-II (On Board Diagnostic) information directly from your vehicle's engine control unit (ECU) and integrate it into an Innovate MTS (Modular Tuning System) Log Chain. An MTS Log Chain can be logged (recorded) and analyzed on a personal computer using Innovate's award winning LogWorks software (included).

Click here to learn more about the OT-1!

Click here to place an order!

LM-2 Update!

There's good news and bad news about our forthcoming LM-2 Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter. The bad news is that it is delayed. We expect to continue development and validation through February & March, with full production starting shortly thereafter. The good news is that we are getting great response as far as new features of the LM-2. We are accepting pre-sales from our authorized resellers. MSRP will be slightly higher than originally expected. The LM-2 is going to be available for $479 USD for the single channel wideband (P/N: 3806), and $669 USD for the dual channel wideband (P/N: 3807). The interface will support all known protocols, including enhanced parameters for most cars sold in the US since 1996. Stay tuned.

It is basically the LM1 with their Opent tune taht is said to scan everything from 96 that is currently avaialble
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/OpenTune.pdf

Just figured if those two companies can merge them maybe HP could.