Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Best way to tune a boosted truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to tune a boosted truck?

I've been working on tuning my truck with HPtuners for far too long and I keep getting advice from different people online. Right now it seems to be running pretty good but I want to know what is the best way to tune it from a stock PCM. Step by step with 1bar MAP and a wideband. Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 05:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definatly get a wideband. A 2 bar would be great but its not a viable option for everyone ($). Of coarse you can tune it with a 2 bar just takes a little work with the tables and cutting resolution in half.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

wish I could help you out more, seems like you've learned alot since you picked up your HPTuners.

hows your AFR and KR ?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

the KR is basically gone. I'm having issues with my wideband so i'm not sure about the a/f ratio. I'm not sure where it should be at part throttle or how to make part throttle adjustments to the a/f. I know wot should be 11/7:1 and I know to adjust my PE to do that.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thats a good WOT AFR for a boosted vehicle. AFR at part throttle should be at 14.7:1. You should try to get your Long terms as close to zero as possible. This will keep you right at 14.7:1 and help you get better MPG. YOu can do most of this in the VE tables. If you see a positive LT value then you should be adding more fuel by adjusting the VE table and vise versa. IF your LT's are right on meaning your ve table is golden you should be at about 1.23-1.245 for PE to get your 11.7:1 AFR.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

what about my ifr table? some guys say it should be flat accross the board at 41.67. Others say i should scale the table and adjust it to get my ltft to 0. I tried it at 41.67 for my 42lb injectors and my ltft were all over the place.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

True some scaling should be done as at differnet fuel pressures your IFR will infact change some. Your 2002 will have a difference infuel pressure across the board because of the regulator. Anything ratical should not have to be done here though. Most of your work will be in the VE table I am sure. It will be a matter of figuring out what fule pressure you run at diffent manifold pressure values. Then figuring out injector scalling as nessisary. I would opt to do it in the VE table though.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

For your IFR table, just put in the actual IFR of your injectors at your fuel pressure (most injectors are rated at 43.5psi and our trucks run at 58psi). Then adjust your VE table to get you negative (really easy to do once your wbo2 problems are ironed out -- using speed density / "mafless" tuning). From there move on to the WOT tuning -- it will change depending on the previous two (same with idle most likely).

The reason you LTFTs were super weird is that those injectors are most likely 42ft/lb at 43.5psi. 58psi makes them closer to 48.5 lb/hr injectors.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
For your IFR table, just put in the actual IFR of your injectors at your fuel pressure (most injectors are rated at 43.5psi and our trucks run at 58psi). Then adjust your VE table to get you negative (really easy to do once your wbo2 problems are ironed out -- using speed density / "mafless" tuning). From there move on to the WOT tuning -- it will change depending on the previous two (same with idle most likely).

The reason you LTFTs were super weird is that those injectors are most likely 42ft/lb at 43.5psi. 58psi makes them closer to 48.5 lb/hr injectors.
ok, so what should i set them at in the IFR table? i idle at 48psi and goes up to over 60, can't remember exactly how high.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what injectors are they. if its the marine injectors they are 43.82@58psi.
what i did on mine was take the value which was the highest and subtract 43.82 and the number i got i added to the whole table. this may not be exact but it worked great. funny thing is the first time i did this i tried to adjust my ltft and everything kept geting richer and richer so i put the whole fuel side of things back to stock then just put in my injector size as above and snakeeater pull a little off the whole ve table and tuned some timming now my fuel mileage is back way up. my turbo isn't on yet so not sure about the boost side of things yet. but i'm working on it.

Quick Reply: Best way to tune a boosted truck?