Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Burst knock and KR

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burst knock and KR

I have been fighting a nasty timing pull at WOT launch that is killing my 60's. After ruling out everything else, I think it might be an over-aggressive burst knock setting (0.015 g/cyl delta). My question is, if in the process of tuning this value I actually do encounter burst knock, will the regular KR kick in and protect my engine? I think 15° of timing pull on launch is a bit excessive, but I don't want to blow up my engine either (although it would make a nice excuse to get a 6.0 ).
Old 06-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you don't care and REALLY want a 6.0, you have already made your decision! LOL

IMO, burst knock is a slick way of saving your motor from actually going through actual knock. The pcm sees (or thinks it is coming) a scenario that may cause knock and adjusts for it (braces for it)LOL. I say go into your max timng pull on actual knock, push them up so the pcm will pull alot of timing in case there is knock, then zero out your burst table. Do a launch. If you really get knock the pcm will pull a **** load of timing to keep you safe and that will answer your question, and if it doesn't pull any timing, well that answers your question as well.

***I'd also put the spark PID's in your scanner table to see ANY timing pull.***
Old 06-13-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Well, if you don't care and REALLY want a 6.0, you have already made your decision! LOL

***I'd also put the spark PID's in your scanner table to see ANY timing pull.***
Thanks for the tip. Took a closer look at HPT's scan program and found a large number of spark advance/retard PID's (yes, I am still learning the software). Plans are to try them ASAP.

BTW j/k on the 6.0, I can't afford a new engine right now, hell I can hardly afford gas for the current one, lol.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of guys half the burst kock table and double the recovery table. I personally have not but then I am not seeing a lot of burst knock.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
... Took a closer look at HPT's scan program and found a large number of spark advance/retard PID's (yes, I am still learning the software). Plans are to try them ASAP. ...
Well, so much for that brilliant idea. Turns out my pcm OS doesn't support all those specialized timing PID's. Anyway, thanks for the tip, KySilverado, I might give that a try and see if it helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post up a bin file of the tune?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tried to, but even zipped it's 248K, and the board only allows 97.7K max. Is there another way (e-mail, ftp site, etc.)? I really appreciate your offer to help.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
Tried to, but even zipped it's 248K, and the board only allows 97.7K max. Is there another way (e-mail, ftp site, etc.)? I really appreciate your offer to help.
yeh email it to dewey@bowenelectric.net (me) and calliedusty@sbcglobal.net (Wilde Racing)

I'll host it for ya so other people can see it.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

So what decay rate is everyone using? It says it accepts a min. of 0 and a max. 1. It seems like an awefully big range given the resolution of the parameter.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
So what decay rate is everyone using? It says it accepts a min. of 0 and a max. 1. It seems like an awefully big range given the resolution of the parameter.
I am at .75

Quick Reply: Burst knock and KR