Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Burst knock and KR

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap, I think mines at around .025 or something. I'm going to have to look into this burst knock thing, due to my 2000 PCM's ineptitude.

Oh yeah, what does the decay number reference? Is it a measure of time or something?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
yeh email it to dewey@bowenelectric.net (me) and calliedusty@sbcglobal.net (Wilde Racing)

I'll host it for ya so other people can see it.
email sent.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Holy crap, I think mines at around .025 or something. I'm going to have to look into this burst knock thing, due to my 2000 PCM's ineptitude.

Oh yeah, what does the decay number reference? Is it a measure of time or something?
In the "beginning", haha the modding beginning, I like everybody else was fighting knock. Slapping a roots blower on with a head job, cam, and headers isn't really the quietest setup (although arguably doesn't affect the knock sensors much some say...hmmm). One of the things people have a hard time fighting is when knock comes on, it takes awhile to go away. "Awhile" being defined as maybe a second or 2. It will look like a long downhill decline on the scanner after the first hit(spike) of knock. Well, Flyer mentioned to me to turn up the decay rate so that the pcm would acknowledge the knock and "Go Away" quicker. The decay rate is how fast the pcm goes back to no knock. If there is really knock going on it will now appear as a very spikey shot on the scanner. fake knock will just chop in real quick. Chop in meaning one spike. Now that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have real knock (one spike versuses a few), it just makes for diagnosing your knock easier IMO. To my kowledge it is not related to burst knock...as you can't see burst knock on the graph as kr.

GM I am sure doesn't care if you have timing being pulled a little longer than we would desire. It's safer no matter how you look at it from their super comfortable all leather reclining chair in the corner window office on the 25th executive floor.

That's my take on it at least.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
email sent.
got it

here's your link to your file

GMC_DUDE's TUNE LINKY

Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

What is your delta g/cyl at for burst knock? Also what exaclty does the delta g/cyl value correspond to? Is the difference in the dynamic cylinder over a certain interval of time? Can I get this displayed on a PID or something to log it?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM

What is your delta g/cyl at for burst knock? Also what exaclty does the delta g/cyl value correspond to? Is the difference in the dynamic cylinder over a certain interval of time? Can I get this displayed on a PID or something to log it?
The way I read it, and this is as lamen as I see it, if the ecm sees (i imgaine from some complicated calculation) that your delta g/cyl is out of its range by what you specify in this table (0 g/cyl to 8 g/cyl) it will pull...er apply knock retard as per the value you have in the Burst KR vs rpm. I guess what its saying (pure speculation) if at any given rpm you (or your truck) can produce more air than what is specified while still in that advance table/cell, it will apply the kr(as per your settings in these tables). I have also read that once the requirements are met to cause burst kr, it is a timed event...all or nothing deal, no attack rate or decay rate. Once started, it exists for the entire duration of whatever parameters the genius' have in mind. It's also supposedly only measured at throtle blade opening. So if you are already on the gas and haven't encountered it, you won't. But if the TPSis 0% and you nail it...the pcm is looking to see if those parameters are met to enact the prescribed bkr.

Whew, take a breath now. LOL I just made all of that up, sounds pretty good eh? LOL

Oh yeh, your first question, Shhh...I zero'ed mine out a month or 2 ago.Hush hush.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM

oooh if you look at GMC DUDE's tune, he has the extra table for engine run time. Mine doesn't.

GMC DUDE I don't see anywhere in your tables where it would pull 15*, even with the multipliers. Do you have a scan of this "timing pull" ?

Last edited by dewmanshu; 06-14-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
It's also supposedly only measured at throtle blade opening. So if you are already on the gas and haven't encountered it, you won't. But if the TPSis 0% and you nail it...the pcm is looking to see if those parameters are met to enact the prescribed bkr.
I think it is based of the TPS too, but in my case it happens when I let off to shift. I guess I'm going to have to learn to power shift so I can keep the pedal to the floor.

I'm going to head over to HPT's forums to see what I can dig up.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I think it is based of the TPS too, but in my case it happens when I let off to shift. I guess I'm going to have to learn to power shift so I can keep the pedal to the floor.

I'm going to head over to HPT's forums to see what I can dig up.
cool, i am certainly interested in any factual info you find!

I would imagine the only TPS basis it would use is open or shut. LOL
Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

From what I have seen, too aggressive of a setting in your burst knock tables will actually cause false knock. I increased my deltra airmass tables up to something like 0.6, which effectively disable burst knock. Once I did that, I saw a lot less KR as well. I did this after posting in the EFILive forum (or LS1Tech, can't remember), as someone else was having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Burst knock and KR