Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Buzzing sound from overhead speaker..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing sound from overhead speaker..

The little speaker above the drive makes a buzzing sound when either the tahoe or silvy is started but only if overnight or few a few hours..After a few min it goes away..

Anybody ever had this problem before???
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. When you turn the key on it almost sounds like a little fan motor starting but real slow and it comes from that little speaker for the onstar above the head. I've always wonderd why it does this as well
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a speaker, lol. Although is a very common misconception, I'm not sure if it was started by some sales rep not knowing what else to say, or what.

It's the thermistor for the front A/C system auto climate control. There is indeed a little fan in there sucking air out of the cabin and blowing it into the headliner- the thermistor is mounted to the fan cage in the headliner.

When it starts to make noise it generally means the motor bearing has gone out and is letting the blade hit the plastic grille in the ceiling.

Onstar uses the car speakers for audio (it has no backup audio function) and has a microphone which is usually located near the driver's visor, on the dome light assembly.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

The piece directly above your head is the temp sensor for auto climate control and yes there is a little fan inside there. Remove it and clean it and the sound will go away.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it's a pretty common deal, here is a link to a how to with the part number for it.

I know it's not pt but I knew where this one was.
How to replace the auto climate control aspirator in a GMT800 Chevrolet Tahoe - Truck Mod Central
Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always just replaced the aspirator when this happens. It's pretty common.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
traveling mod

So does it serve a purpose besides auto climate???
Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrew383

Not really. I always figured it ventilated the headliner so it didn't get musty up there. The temperature controls on my trucks stopped working after I pulled it though (no middle ground between hot and cold) so I wouldn't recommend discarding it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew383
The HVAC module needs it there, to work properly.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep its for the A/C controls. If you have the manual sliders for A/C control im not sure if its needed. However if you have the digital controls......from my personal experience you absolutely need it. When mine started vibrating I ended up knocking it loose and it slid back in my headliner and quit making noise. Then I noticed I could not control the A/C coming out of the vents. It would either blow ice or flames out of the vents and absolutely NO other temperature would be selected. If I put mine on 74 and cruzed down the road it would still pump out FREEZING cold air. I would bump it up to 80 and still FREEZING. at 85-90 deg it would shoot fire out of the vents (not literally just really hot air) It was really frusterating. When I pulled my headliner to dynamat my roof I hot glued the fan back in place and my digital A/C worked flawlessly since.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound from overhead speaker..