Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Calibrated Success DVD's - Want to rent!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibrated Success DVD's - Want to rent!

As it says, anyone with the calibrated success DVD's will to rent them out for a while? Going to start assembly on the 408 later this month and would like to know what i'm doing with the software before it goes in.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I borrowed my friends CD's, and to be honest I learned very little. It was hard for me to listen to Banish talking as he would put me to sleep, and I would often shut it off. What software are you using? There are places online that will help you more in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I borrowed my friends CD's, and to be honest I learned very little. It was hard for me to listen to Banish talking as he would put me to sleep, and I would often shut it off. What software are you using? There are places online that will help you more in my opinion.
I have HPT, I'm gearing up to start assembly on my 408 as soon as I get my stuff back from the machine shop and would really like to have a soid foundation of knowledge on the process. I have read the material in the stickies in this section, and I guess I should just practice on the stock set up. I am just more of a hands on learner and reading just doesn't get me to a comfortable point.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
FormerVendor

All I can say is just be careful what you read on the internet about tuning info. Their is a lot of bad tuning info given out at times various places such as some forums and whatnot.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
All I can say is just be careful what you read on the internet about tuning info. Their is a lot of bad tuning info given out at times various places such as some forums and whatnot.
Thus the existence of this thread, and this one too ----> LINK!! (Could use some help)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are putting a completely different engine in, there are a lot of different variables that will be changed. What I would do is tune the vehicle it is going in. It would be best if it was completely stock, and nail down the VE and MAF. Then I would install the injectors you are going to use with the 408. Then gey the injectors set up properly according to what you know is right about the engine. Injectors can be a pain especially if you are running large ones for the 408. That will be good experience, and then you can see the effects of the changes on what you have. Too many changes can be overwhelming and confusing at the same time. Or pay one of the sponsors like Klug to help you out. He is a good guy that knows his stuff, and uses HPT.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

I wasnt wild about the banish DVD either, but it came with alot of useful injector information.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
If you are putting a completely different engine in, there are a lot of different variables that will be changed. What I would do is tune the vehicle it is going in. It would be best if it was completely stock, and nail down the VE and MAF. Then I would install the injectors you are going to use with the 408. Then gey the injectors set up properly according to what you know is right about the engine. Injectors can be a pain especially if you are running large ones for the 408. That will be good experience, and then you can see the effects of the changes on what you have. Too many changes can be overwhelming and confusing at the same time. Or pay one of the sponsors like Klug to help you out. He is a good guy that knows his stuff, and uses HPT.
I would really like to avoid paying a tunner at this point in time. I figured as a hobbist site, there would be people willing to help me out, but that is a dimming light (there is an exception as you are giving ideas). I have been reading and "playing" with the software and have a minimal working understanding. But that is not going to be enough to get this done, I just need some guidance. If I can go through the process with it in its current form, then I know what needs to be done once the swap takes place. Like I said, I bought it to learn to use it (and have been trying), and would rather learn it than pay someone another $300 bucks to do what I have the potental to do myself.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

True, I don't blame you there! You bought Hptuners, might as well learn! As far as the DVDs that Greg has put out I feel for the time he had to work with in each DVD whether it be the "beginners" DVD or the second more advanced one I think he did a pretty good job. His in person classes are excellent but definitely not the kind of money most people are willing to spend on attending one but guys who have tuned "professionally" for years even have attended Greg's classes and have still come away from the class with more knowledge and feeling that it was money well spent. He has worked closely with and for GM and other car manufacturers for a reason, the guy knows his stuff!

As far as learning to tune and learning to do so the right way it's just a matter of A LOT of reading and studying and you will pick it up. It can be a steep learning curve that's for sure, for some guys it comes to them better than others but heck it's that way for anything new whether it be taking up a new sport or whatever it may be. Just take your time and like I said read read read! Their is some good help from some very knowledgable people over on Hptuners forum as
well. From time to time if it's a subject that's been covered a million times somebody might get a little snippy and want you to use the search button but their is some knowledge to be gained
over there as well as here on this forum too.

Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 06-20-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
True, I don't blame you there! You bought Hptuners, might as well learn! As far as the DVDs that Greg has put out I feel for the time he had to work with in each DVD whether it be the "beginners" DVD or the second more advanced one I think he did a pretty good job. His in person classes are excellent but definitely not the kind of money most people are willing to spend on attending one but guys who have tuned "professionally" for years even have attended Greg's classes and have still come away from the class with more knowledge and feeling that it was money well spent. He has worked closely with and for GM and other car manufacturers for a reason, the guy knows his stuff!

As far as learning to tune and learning to do so the right way it's just a matter of A LOT of reading and studying and you will pick it up. It can be a steep learning curve that's for sure, for some guys it comes to them better than others but heck it's that way for anything new whether it be taking up a new sport or whatever it may be. Just take your time and like I said read read read! Their is some good help from some very knowledgable people over on Hptuners forum as
well. From time to time if it's a subject that's been covered a million times somebody might get a little snippy and want you to use the search button but their is some knowledge to be gained
over there as well as here on this forum too.
Can you please post some links that can help a person interested in learning with hp tuners with 0 experience?Tuning with HP tuners is something that sparked my interest. How much money does it take to start, what equipment is needed,laptop,software,and what is the deal with credits? I have heard the credits are sold and that after an amount of tuning a certain year of gm vehicles you can tune that year for free after that? Again all the info I have I have is talk from people that don't tune.

Last edited by garcia; 04-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Calibrated Success DVD's - Want to rent!