Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Called wait4me

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Called wait4me

So I called wait4me trying to see what he offered.....I asked him about tuning and what kind of gas I could use. He said that he would do a tune and that the computer would adapt to the gas I put in my truck. He said I could run 87 all the way up to 100 something and that the computer would sense this and adjust to the type of fuel I was using at the time. Is this true?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

YES....that's true.....it's called a flip tune. I have the same type of tune myself.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To clarify, there is no octane sensor in the truck, just a high and low octane spark table. It will start at the high octane table, and if insufficient octane is used, it will knock. The PCM will pick up this knock and begin to adjust the timing down towards the low octane table. It will constantly attempt to raise the timing up towards the high octane table, but as knock is detected, it will be stopped.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dc_justin
To clarify, there is no octane sensor in the truck, just a high and low octane spark table. It will start at the high octane table, and if insufficient octane is used, it will knock. The PCM will pick up this knock and begin to adjust the timing down towards the low octane table. It will constantly attempt to raise the timing up towards the high octane table, but as knock is detected, it will be stopped.
X456789

so you were just slanged BS and justin just clarified it up
Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dc_justin
That's exactly how the timing tables work!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

but does the stock PCM adjust up to 100? whats special about the adjustability of the wait4me
Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i remember, the stock high octane table has a much lower timing at wot than a custom tune would. so, no.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
as far as i remember, the stock high octane table has a much lower timing at wot than a custom tune would. so, no.
That is very true. There isn't a whole lot you can do with running 87 octane, but you can add quite a bit of timing with 87-93 octane. I don't know if I'd run straight 100 octane in my truck though.

by the way listen to Justin. He won't steer ya wrong.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by allenmehrer
but does the stock PCM adjust up to 100? whats special about the adjustability of the wait4me

no, the high octain timing table is set (doesnt matter the octain. Ususally set for 93) so if you put 100 in it, it will just be a waste of $$$ unless the timing was set too high to begin with causing knock.

Justin described it right.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

So what you guys are saying is I could run 87-93 but the performance would change? Like say if I was taking a trip and was just going to have the cruise on 80 and not really looking for hp....I could just run 87 then? Also would the mpg change between 87-93?

Quick Reply: Called wait4me