Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

cammed 6.0 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is what jumps out at me:

1. You need more base running airflow IN GEAR. Your base running airflow tables are just about identical from your P/N to your In Gear rows. Typically the in gear row will be higher than your in park values (depending on your converter).

2. I also see that your Adaptive Idle Airflow (both min/max in gear and both min/max in P/N values are ZERO.

3. Your idle timing table does not match your HI Octane timing table in the idle RPM areas.

Follow this line by line and see what it does for you:

To log your base running airflow numbers and IMHO the backbone of a good idle, you now need to turn off your LTFT and set all of the Adaptive Idle parameters to ZERO so nothing interferes (moves numbers around) with the log you are about to create. To do this go to HPT > Engine > Fuel Control > OL&CL > Long Term Fuel Trim Enable, and make both the Min. and Max. ECT settings equal to 284*F. Now ZERO out Adaptive Idle Parameters by going to HPT > Idle > Idle Airflow > Adaptive Idle Airflow and ZERO out the Max In-Gear AC Off, Min In-Gear AC Off, Max P/N AC off and the Min P/N AC off tables (looking at your tune file you posted, you already did this part). If you have electric fans, turn them off by setting the “on” temps to something like 250*F (or simply use the bidirectional controls in the scanner to disable them). Save this tune file with a file name you can remember (i.e. Idle Airflow Tuning) and flash the PCM with these new changes.

Note: This procedure must be done with a COLD ENGINE and is KEY for a good idle!

Download and open this configuration in the VCM scanner:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-2f86be0c.html

Connect to the COLD truck and begin scanning (using the above configuration) before you start the truck (obviously you need the key in the “on” position). Reset the LTFT using the VCM Controls (VCM Scanner > VCM Controls > Fuel & Spark > Reset Fuel Trims). Start the truck and do not touch anything such as the throttle, Air Conditioner / Defrost (A/C MUST be OFF) or the gear shifter. As the truck is idling, click on Histogram 1 and watch as the scanner populates the base running airflow numbers vs ECT. Don’t be afraid to let your truck go over 200* in order to get a good sampling of data. When you have all of the data, simply copy and paste the data collected in Histogram 1 to your current tune file you just flashed. The data will be pasted into the Base Running Airflow table (HPT > Engine > Idle > Idle Airflow > Base Running Airflow) for both P/N and In-Gear. BE SURE TO PASTE THE NUMBERS IN THE CORRECT CORESPONDING CELLS! Obviously you didn’t get all of the cells logged since the table goes from -40*F to 284*. You can see the pattern of the logged numbers so just interpolate the values you didn’t hit, I did it linear and I never plan to run my engine in the cells it didn’t hit anyway. Again, save your new tune and reflash into the truck and let the truck cool down for at least several hours (I let it cool down over night). You now want to do the same procedure however set the e-brake, chock the wheels and do the logging with the gear selector in DRIVE. Be safe here and stay in the driver’s seat during the entire procedure. Just as before, do not touch the throttle, change gears or run the A/C or Defrost. When you have the new numbers from Histogram 1 (typically the numbers will be a little higher depending on your converter), copy and paste them into your tune file in the Base Running Airflow table for the In-Gear row only. Again as mentioned before, be sure to copy and paste in the correct cells. Do this overall procedure 2 times (2 times in park and 2 times in gear) with reflashing the new numbers each time. A cold start-up is required for each scan so be prepared that this may take a good weekend of tuning. This procedure will get you real close to dialing in your Base Running Airflow table and you should notice a significant improvement on idle quality especially transitioning from Park to Drive after each set of new numbers entered into your tune.

Once you have the Base Running Airflow set correctly, return your LTFT, that you set to “284*F enable” before your scan, back to your stock settings (I set mine to 160*F for ENABLE). While you have your file open, set your Min temp for adaptive idle to an appropriate temperature (HPT > Engine > Idle > Idle RPM > Adaptive Idle RPM Min ECT). As a guideline, it should be *about* 30 degrees cooler than your engine normally runs. If it runs at 180 when warm then 150 is your target (this is typical for a 160* thermostat). Max temp -- leave it alone, I run mine at 220*.

Put the MAX Adaptive Idle Airflow values you zero’d out previously back to stock (4.50g/sec) and put the Min values to -0.5 g/sec or less. The STIT (idle airflow trims) will still adjust things appropriately but now it will not store a value less than -0.5 g/sec. Setting the Min Values to -0.5g/sec is very beneficial for big cams as on a hot restart more airflow is necessary. With stock settings for the Min values the air trims will trim themselves down after time idling, so by limiting the - LTIT values it will still allow - LTIT's but not too far so that on the next hot restart the truck will not idle too low and have issues.

Save and reflash your new file into your truck.

All in my humble opinion as I am not a pro tuner.

Last edited by krambo; 02-05-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with krambo! Getting your base running airflow numbers in line is key for a good idle.

I would follow krambo's write up step by step and see what that does for you.

BTW krambo very nice write up on idle tuning! A great guide especially for some beginners for idle tuning.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i think if you started from stock would help as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GREAT, GREAT info Krambo! Thank all you guys ALOT, I really appreciate everything you guys do, especially since I dont think I know what the hell Im doing still, haha

I will give this a try tomorrow. I may start from stock again and I may try and doctor my file now so I shall see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again everyone, I will keep you updated
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you get it going yet?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you comming on the tunning??
Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

dad's laptop's hard drive crashed over the weekend so I didnt get **** done. And now its raining this week haha so Im gonna be picking up AJ's laptop here in a couple hours so stay tuned

... no pun intended...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

ok tried Krambo's suggestions that he PM'd me. got it all transfered over and put it back in open loop, put everything back to normal. Now its ok-ish. I had to add .050 lb/min of air to the in gear table to get it to just idle in gear. Now it will kind of idle in gear and I even got it around the block with no issues really. Well now on hot starts idle starts wavering... Also when I put it in gear it dies immediately again. Do I need more air on the hot side of things for in gear? now what do I need to get the idle to stop wavering? This is turning out to be a bitch and a half. I just want the ******* thing driveable so I can get to work in the rain. then I will go to the dyno for the rest. Thanks guys

should I just completely start from the stock 6.0 tune and go off of Krambo's guidelines and hope Im not chasing my tail again?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

heres the tune btw
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
idle-Krambo-advice2.hpt (466.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

threw in the towel tonight guys. Thank all of you for your help, you got be pretty dam far but I just couldnt get it. I would rather have someone else who knows what they're doing either sit down in my truck and teach me, or just let a professional do it so I dont hurt my new motor, haha. Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Hope to have the truck tuned and up and raising hell very soon

Quick Reply: cammed 6.0 help