Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Circumvent tuner lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circumvent tuner lock?

Has anybody figured out how to circumvent tunerlock on a pcm? I found one thread from a couple years ago with no easy answers. Does anybody know any tricks?

I have a customer who wants his truck tuned because he is on a mail order tune and wants to get it dialed in better. But the stupid computer is tunerlocked.

Now I must vent. Why why why would you tunerlock a mail order tune? The customer paid you for it, therefore its their tune. Its also their computer. Way I see it, you have no right to lock someone else's computer. No offense to anyone, but it is just a mail order tune, its not some top secret, special championship winning tune. I wouldn't tunerlock a customer's computer if I tuned it in person, much less mail order. I have no right, and neither does anybody else, to lock another person's computer. If I didn't want my stuff seen, I wouldn't tune other people's stuff.

There, I'll step off my soapbox.

Last edited by Hemi2Slo; 02-24-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This too bothers me. Perhaps it so the customer cannot access the tune and share it publicly?

I think these guys can do it, but you might lose the tune, not sure.

PCMCalibrators - Home
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a sponsor here that has posted up and said he can unlock pcm's. I can't remember who it was ATM, but you have to send him the PCM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ yeah, that's the guy.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I guess it's like KFC or bush's baked beans; a secret recipe. You buy the product and enjoy their recipe, but they're not gonna tell you what's in it.

For people with specific built motors, I can see where locking might be needed to protect the knowledge of the tuner. But for generic mail order tunes, I don't see why.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

To me, its as if somebody paid me to come and set up their entertainment system and I did, but I locked the tv on a certain channel. They would have to call me and get me to come change the channel for them. Not very fair to the customer if you ask me.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

From the tuner's side, basically they are protecting the work they have accomplished. For example you dont see Microsoft releasing source cide for windows. Most tuners have spent years developing amd refining their trade, naturally they want to protect thier investment. Also it protects them from people going into the pcm and messing with things then breaking something and then blaming the tuner.

This is why i bought the software years ago and learnes how to tune myself.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
From the tuner's side, basically they are protecting the work they have accomplished. For example you dont see Microsoft releasing source cide for windows. Most tuners have spent years developing amd refining their trade, naturally they want to protect thier investment. Also it protects them from people going into the pcm and messing with things then breaking something and then blaming the tuner.

This is why i bought the software years ago and learnes how to tune myself.

Well its not like you can't scan the proper data and make a new tune based on the scan....
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure about getting around the lock. I had a 2nd pcm with a certain tuners mail order tune a few years ago. I asked for him to flash it back to stock and remove the lock so I can use the computer again but instead he chose to continue to try and sell me on his ability to improve the tune. To this date I have a several hundred $ pcm sitting in my garage as a paper weight. I believe I might be able to get a dealer to reflash the entire computer to factory stock which would allow me to use the computer once again. Just haven't confirmed the ability yet or takent he time to go figure it out.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive read that the tech 2 can reprogram it back to factory settings.. but never seen it done..
send it to
PCMCalibrators - Home

and let them hook you up.

Quick Reply: Circumvent tuner lock?