Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Circumvent tuner lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We've tried to use a Tech2 for that, and it did not work.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

they used a big computer at the dealership to flash my locked PCM back to stock. the handheld tech 2 wouldnt work. they actually removed the pcm and plugged it into a desktop style computer. using my vin the gave me the latest factory tune available. this was probably 5 years ago or more.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
they used a big computer at the dealership to flash my locked PCM back to stock. the handheld tech 2 wouldnt work. they actually removed the pcm and plugged it into a desktop style computer. using my vin the gave me the latest factory tune available. this was probably 5 years ago or more.
We didn't have one of those.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the guy is gonna try and get the place that did the tune (a sponsor here) to unlock the computer. If they won't, I got some info on somebody local to us that can do it.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

E.p.s.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bstill

For people with specific built motors, I can see where locking might be needed to protect the knowledge of the tuner. But for generic mail order tunes, I don't see why.
Actually that's a little bit backwards, custom engine and custom tunes are not going to be something you can rip a copy of and distribute to work on vast numbers of combinations. However, stockish engines with power tunes- that's what a tuner wants to protect. No tuner in his right mind would want to release his work into the world where it could be easily copied without some form of copy protection.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you purchase a tuned PCM then it is yours. If you purchase a vehicle that has been tuned the tuner would have the ownership of the tune.

Example: If I purchase Software X and give it out to my friend this would be wrong. If I purchase Software X it is mine to use. If I sell my PC and Software X is on the PC then the new owner does not own Software X.

We unlock most PCM's & ECM's for $50 + $15 shipping. You need to be the person that purchased the tune. If you are not the purchaser we will return it to stock and send it back unlocked.

If we find a copy-write in the calibration then we will need an OK from the tuner to unlock it.
If a PCM is programmed with a calibration file containing a copyright notice, Some software packages will not allow anyone (including you) to read this PCM and your calibration.

Seed & Key combo. This is how the PCM are locked. General Motors uses a seed/key combo to unlock their engine controllers to allow for programming. By changing the key the PCM/ECM will be locked. This is what we change and the only part of the calibration that we touch
If the key has been used to lock the PCM/ECM and TIS is unable to set it to set it to a "fail safe" then you will not be able to use TIS to reprogram the PCM/ECM
Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the truck belongs to my customer, and he purchased the tune himself. We don't really care about the tune that's on it, as we are not going to use it if I retune it. But we would like to be able to look at it so I can tell him if I can get more out of it before he spends the money. But that is no big deal. The major issue is that his computer was locked so that it can't be written to and it was done without his knowlege or consent. But, we'll get it straightened out one way or another.