Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Considering mail order Nelson ecm

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They "lock" the pcm's so you cannot change anything liability issues they dont want their name on something and then you change something that causes something to malfunction and in return they could end up in court. However I have dealt with Allen Nelson before and he is definately on top of the game when it comes to mail order tune. Not saying that others arent, however nothing beats a road or dyno tune.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Oh okay, I understand now. Well i called and ordered a tuned pcm for my 00 surburban yesterday. Their service was great and they were really helpful. And i have to be on a waiting list to get my 07 tuned pcm for about 2 months.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007chevy5.3l
Jeeze! thats alot. But yeah i need something to wake this truck up.
It'll wake up and drink a few red bulls
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I live within driving distance of them both. However, I'll never buy from them solely for the fact that they lock their tunes. I haven't quite figured out why, but it was probably the only thing stopping me from giving them $400 of my money.

For most this doesn't matter, but for some(like me) it's important.
I would have to agree with you on this subject... The only real thing that tuners need to protect is the timing tables, which does take alot of research, dyno time, logging, and money to establish a good timing table... The rest of the parameters in a tune are not so secretive... Recently I have been helping a fellow board member diagnose the problems with his truck, the logs made absolutely no sense... We could not look at the tune to figure out what was going on, we could only speculate that certain parts of the tune were adjusted to fix mechanical problems, which actually caused more problems, so basically he just bought a blank PCM and went with a mail order tuner that does not lock his tunes, but requests that you don't share out certain aspects of the tune, which we would not do anyways out of respect for the tuner...

the concept of locking tunes is like buying a cam without knowing the specs.... IMO you should know what your paying for....
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I would have to agree with you on this subject... The only real thing that tuners need to protect is the timing tables, which does take alot of research, dyno time, logging, and money to establish a good timing table... The rest of the parameters in a tune are not so secretive... Recently I have been helping a fellow board member diagnose the problems with his truck, the logs made absolutely no sense... We could not look at the tune to figure out what was going on, we could only speculate that certain parts of the tune were adjusted to fix mechanical problems, which actually caused more problems, so basically he just bought a blank PCM and went with a mail order tuner that does not lock his tunes, but requests that you don't share out certain aspects of the tune, which we would not do anyways out of respect for the tuner...

the concept of locking tunes is like buying a cam without knowing the specs.... IMO you should know what your paying for....
It has little to do with sharing the tune with other people or seeing what the tuner did. It has to do with the tuners liability for the tune.
As mentioned in a previous post, someone could order a tune, go in with their own software and make changes that cause complete engine failure (370 here i come). Then Sue the tuner for sending them a faulty tune.
That's what they want to prevent.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
It has little to do with sharing the tune with other people or seeing what the tuner did. It has to do with the tuners liability for the tune.
As mentioned in a previous post, someone could order a tune, go in with their own software and make changes that cause complete engine failure (370 here i come). Then Sue the tuner for sending them a faulty tune.
That's what they want to prevent.
I still think it is BS, have them sign a release form....
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I still think it is BS, have them sign a release form....
I must agree, it is like buying a cam without knowing the specs, and the form is a good idea, but that would complicate things..having to send the form mail it back then send the pcm, a big pia.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More and more tuners out there that have a good rep and alot of customers out there that did not lock them before,is now locking them.
A few shops also are starting to
There are very good reasons to,I really do understand not wanting them locked or thinking it is rediculous,I really do understand BUT we will always continue to do so for many reasons.
I am sure alot of tuners out there will also.
Like I said though,I can understand your feelings about it.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

You all make good points. We should be able to know what kind of tune were getting and be able to make adjustments ourselves, but i can see where the tuner doesnt want to be held liable for a mistake on our part if we go in and mess up an engine taking tuning matters into our own hands.

It'll wake up and drink a few red bulls [viciousknid]

Hahaha Now were talkin!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Where's the Beef?

I think the easier solution, for those just wanting to know what's been done is to simply provide a "Tune slip". Just like when you buy a cam you get a slip that says rpm rang, duration, lift, lsa. Have a print out sent with the tune stating the VE tables, Shift points, timing. etc.
It may never happen but personally, I don't care if it does. I respect the reasons behind locking the tune and most tuners are more than willing to email the requested information to the customer if requested.

Quick Reply: Considering mail order Nelson ecm