Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Crank relearn now have noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHILLLLLL
Well, I hate to accept it, and I'm not going to accept it at the moment, but some opinions I'm getting are that it's rod knock. The motor has less than 200 miles on it, and I refuse to think it's that just yet. I haven't had the chance to really dig into the truck yet. Gonna start with draining the oil, then removing the valve covers and making my way down. Fingers crossed.
Can you tell where the noise is coming from? If from the rear I have seen many a broken flywheel or loose converter bolts cause noise similar
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be a downer but I just saw this happen at work a few ago. Van came in with engine locked up. My co-worker that works next to me proceed to change out the engine. He never checked or replaced the intake manifold. Was running fine until he did a crank relearn. After that the engine picked up a knock. Come to find out there was debris from previous engine laying inside the intake that got sucked in under the high vacuum during that crank relearn! Could this have been something that may have happened with yours??
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter k
Not trying to be a downer but I just saw this happen at work a few ago. Van came in with engine locked up. My co-worker that works next to me proceed to change out the engine. He never checked or replaced the intake manifold. Was running fine until he did a crank relearn. After that the engine picked up a knock. Come to find out there was debris from previous engine laying inside the intake that got sucked in under the high vacuum during that crank relearn! Could this have been something that may have happened with yours??
This just happened to ak2007r6.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 AM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

The entire long block is brand new. I bought a take off L92 intake manifold but it was inspected and cleaned before install. Brand new converter as well. I used the valve covers, injectors, valley cover, and oil pan from my old motor. Engine covers, timing chain, etc etc is all new.

I seem to think the noise is coming from up top. It's really hard to tell because of the long tubes and the rest of the exhaust. Someone else thought it was the #2 cyl on the passenger side knocking.

The noise is NOT at idle. Bring it up to ~1500-2000 and it starts.

Last edited by CHILLLLLL; 08-04-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Check the valvetrain? Maybe rocker or lifter . Hope it isn't a rod.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what 1fastbrick said. Remove the valve covers and check the valvetrain. Or if you suspect #2, apply air to that cylinder and listen for leaks in the exhaust and intake. There might not always be a leak, but if there is you have pinpointed something bad.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Launching!

get a stethoscope there 4 bucks at harbor freight. I have some ticking I can here down the long tubes, but when I scope the engine I hear normal sounds. My engine has approx 2000 miles on it. My injectors make some racket through the scope but not much with out the scope. I am wondering if that noise amplifies down the long tubes. You can pin point pretty good using one.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM

I have one. I listened a little bit but from what I could tell it seemed pretty good. I'll listen again when I head back up to the shop
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

My 408 didnt make it 1000 miles before the crank bearing went out due to taper in the journal on the crank. Point is, just because the engine is new doesnt mean its not a mechanical problem...
Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 PM

I'm aware of this, and I was lurking around your thread when it all happened to you. I just don't want to accept it just yet. If everything points to that direction then there isn't much I can do but tear it apart.

Quick Reply: Crank relearn now have noise