Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

cranking problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What has me stumped is it will only do it when its been sittin until the truck is completely cold never a single problem when its warm.

Maybe if I get some time I will go over the starter wires again and test a few more things but I only get one shot at it like every 5 hours or it won't act up
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a multimeter, check each cable for resistance, before, and during cranking. It sounds like there's something goofy going on in one of the cables behind the sheathing where you can't see it.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Guess we really get to find out what's goin on now.. I drove it to work this morning when I got ready to leave it turned over twice then click and nothing.. It barly has enough power to barly light the ses light when I turn the key on..

I cleaned all the grounds again and checked the wires.. Also ran 2guage main ground to the engine from the battery and 4guage to the frame and body.. A couple weeks back and it didn't change anything

So I'm guessing the power wire is junk and I need to put a new one on it but its sitting at work and its gunna rain till wendsday
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

continueing on with the problem.... ive had more problems arise... I have a drain on my battery im thinking it could possibly be the door switch because sometimes the radio and such dont go off and the lights wont come on when the door is opened and closed so i ordered another door switch.

anyways we messed with the tune adding and removing timing cranking and it didnt change a thing still acts the same... i unpluged my coil packs when it was cold and it spun over just fine... afaik that rules out an engine problem... i will try and get a video of whats goin on and show yall... its crazy but i wanna get it fixed here soon im tired of dealing with it
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had simular problems with my truck sometimes it would just click then do nothing I thought it was the ignition switch but when i went to change it it needed to be ordered and there was two different ones for my year model. Well i was in Miami and didnt have any other choice but to bring it to the dealer. It turns out it was the ground cable. I didnt believe it so i asked for the old cable and by looking at it I couldnt see anything wrong at all but it fixed the problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

i dont know what it could be yet.. i meant to get a video of it but i forgot about it i will do it this evening

ive talked to many different mechanics and none of them could really help me and a few said they didnt wanna mess with it at all.. im at the point where i would pay somebody to fix it now because i think ive done all i can do

\its just wierd that it turns over just fine if i unplug the coil packs but when i plug them back up it still does the same makes me think the timing or somthing would be off but when we messed with everything in the tune and nothing changed a thing with how it started
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like a connection problem, even tho you have just about changed ever big wire there is.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Check the ground connection in the PCM. Maybe unplug and then re-plug in the connectors. If that doesn't do anything, check resistance from the ground wire in the PCM connector to a good known ground, like alternator.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

just a short video to give you a idea of what its doin
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

anyone get any ideas from the video?

Quick Reply: cranking problems