Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Custom Tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Custom Tune ?

What kind of hp/torque can be gained from a custom tune on an all stock silverado 4.8 (have corsa)? On some of the sponsor's websites they say about 30. This is similar to a handheld, so why not go handheld?

I still have the warranty on my truck so would I be able to change it back to stock? Don't want to void anything...
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a custom tune is nothing near a hand held programmer. its 100 times better.
as far as hp and tq numbers i dont know. but i will tell you i had a 4.8 l with a few mods, my buddies had a 5.3 l truck with a few mods. he was beating me in the 1/4 mile by two truck lengths. i ordered up a custom tune from nelson and i was beating hiom by a truck length. you wont be sorry for getting a tune.

if your worried about losing the warranty you can do a few bolt ons and pick up some HP/tq.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I switched from a handheld, to a custom tune, about a year ago, the difference was night and day. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. I picked up 1 MPG on the freeway.
2. More power!!! I need to be careful not to light-up the tires, in First and Second gear.
3. There are far more options available with a custom tune, like taking out part of the torque management during shift changes or optimising the fuel and timing for headers-cold air system-cat back exhaust.
4. I kept my stock tune on another PCM, so I can return to stock by changing PCMs.
5. My custom tune cost was $100 less than a new hand held.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Get the nelson retune

It made a world of diff for me!!!!! I did do other mods with it but i was really surprised!!! Def worth the money!
Derek
Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

I've never in my life seen a handheld tuner net 30 horses! I have actually been at a dyno shop and saw a guy use the Hot Tune from a Predator and it made 8 horsepower on a 5.3.......then they guy plugged in a Jet Module and the truck lost 2 horsepower! No kidding!! So.....a custom tune is light years ahead of any handheld.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
This is similar to a handheld, so why not go handheld?
Handhelds claim these numbers, custom tunes actually give these gains. You'll probably see close to 30 hp with a custome tune from someone reputable, and you might see 10 hp at most out of a Hypertech or Superchips.

A lot of tuners charge $250 and less, while the handhelds are $400+. I noticed you're from GA, there are a lot of GA guys on LS1Tech and I'm sure a few over there tune on their own, you might ask over there about a street tune.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lets put it this way - you can pay 400 bucks for a hyper crap and get very little gain and it maxes out at some point

or

get a mail order tune for 400-500 bucks and get life time upgrades everytime you mod you truck!!

DUH
Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

i have had a predator and and still have my hyperpac.. only differnece i saw in the 2 were the predator gave me about 20 more tq and that was it hp stayed about the same... i keep the hyperpac for now just so i can have my stock pcm..its good for changing the shift points and raising the rev limiter and stuff.. i just ordered my tune from nelson so ill be able to track the difference in hp and tq since the hyperpac can pull all that data from the pcm.how accurate it is i have no clue but its something to go by..
Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Launching!

I started w/ a superchip programmer (did not know any better). My best 1/4 mile time was 15.4. I then mail ordered a tune and got down to 14.6. Last thing was to street tune my mail order tune and now my best is 14.3. Is that proof enough that custom tunes hands down are 100x's better? Don't waste your money.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Teching In

don't know what part of ga you are from but there is a place in cummins ga called vengence that can dyno tune your truck. they are the only people i found in ga so far that can. and there is a place in hazelhurst that may be able to hook you up with a pcm for about $50 so you can swap your stocker in for warranty stuff. Vengence no. is 678 513 7105 and tey toold me that they would charge $475 that includes dyno street and tune.

Quick Reply: Custom Tune ?