Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Custom Tune Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Tune Questions

My girlfriend just bought me a custom tune from wait4me for my b-day but she wanted me to order it to get everything I wanted. My questions is, I have a 99 5.3 4x4 silverado with 80,000 miles, i want to do a performance/economy tune but still remain reliable. Can i tune for economy in regular driving mode and use the tow/haul button as my performance mode? Basically what i'm after is removing 80% TM, upping the shift points, rev limiter, and firmer shifts in tow haul mode versus maybe 20% TM, stock shift points, and stock shift firmness in the normal mode. Im just worried that after I get the tune and with the way I drive the trans and rear will be gone in no time. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you can tune it for what you're looking for! Also do a qucik search on "tune" to get more info and also about upgrading to a 01-02PCM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Ive read hundreds of tuning posts but have yet to see if i can tune two different modes. 1 economy mode for regular driving and the other would not come on until I hit the tow haul button. Since ive heard it takes a few hundred miles for the comp to learn the tune and driving habits is this not possible? Do i just get a performance/econo tune and dont worry about the towhaul mode? Lastly can i remove TM in towhaul and leave it stock when its not in tow haul. Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tow/haul switch modifys tranny perimeters only but it looks like thats what your after except for the revlimiter soo....

just call and ask the tuner he''ll give you the pcm with the upgrades you want and thats all you need
Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

When he tunes it he will make your T/H button the higher performance part of the tune anyway, other wise it would be useless. his performance tune is a 91/93 so depending which fuel you running the computer will inherently only advance and perform to the quality of fuel you have. actually all tunes do this by themselves. thats what the knock retard is doing anyway. I had him remove all the T/M he felt safe with, and I can Sure feel it. I Like it. Now with his tune my truck shifts into 3rd at 100mph, it's soooo friggin sweet. I'll NEVER have any fuel savings cause it feels to good when I get on it
Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The pcm has a couple of tables for fuel/timing maps, some of the tuners can do a dual tune where the computer just switches between the tables depending on the type of fuel used. I don't know if tow/haul can be used to change anything but transmission settings.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrunner
except for the revlimiter soo....
:
There are tables for shift rpm and speed at WOT, and at part throttle in tow haul mode. like others have said, the Tow haul mode ONLY changes trans settings.