Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

DDM HID headlights the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put DDM tuning 6000k highs and lows on my 95. I went with the 55 watt kits and have totally redone my headlight harness by utilizing an additional stock underhood fuse block that has my headlight relays and fan relays in it. All the headlight wiring is done in 12 gauge to the ballasts and the relay triggers come from the stock high and low headlight connectors with female connectors that plug right onto the stock headlight connectors. Its clean and completely stand alone from the stock headlight wiring and I integrated the 4 hi mod as well which keeps the lows on even when switch from low to hi and back to low so there is no off and time to relight and come back to full brightness.

For what its worth I'm also getting a set of H3s for my golf cart.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 55w kits have a bad tendency to melt some plastic housings as well as kick off some impressive radio interference. Also, if you don't use them in an exceptionally well focused housing, they tend to blind oncoming traffic with sheer scatter glare. The brightness is a plus, but if you plan to use them for anything other than offroad or driving lights they are simply too bright.

A big alternator isn't even remotely required for HID lights, even 55w ones. The startup load is still only 7 amps per ballast with 5A running draw. They are far more efficient than your halogen bulbs.

On 2000+ trucks you generally can get away with a normal sized ballast, the slim one is not needed unless you are trying to do a full hideaway. The normal ballast can be fit under the each headlight or tucked behind the turn signals.

Also, the kits do come mostly from the same factory. HIDXtra (retail name HIDExtra) shares the same facilities in S. Korea as DDM. DDM uses slightly lower quality parts in their ballasts which allow them to keep the consumer prices lower. The result is generally more noise output and color variances- it generally doesn't affect the longevity much other than the ballasts aren't as well internally sealed.

HIDXtra doesn't sell 55w kits for the reasons I listed above (I don't sell/install them either)- the long term reliability is too low and risk too high. However, if you are wanting more light 55w is the way to go.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 10-02-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ya know, 35w is probably fine if I can figure out how to get both hi and low lights on when switched to the high position.

I haven't googled it, but does anyone know of a good write up detailing the proper wiring for to keep all 4 lights on when the brights are on?

I just order 2 kits right? One for hi and one for low.

Thanks for the enLIGHTenment fellas! LOL
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iregret
Ya know, 35w is probably fine if I can figure out how to get both hi and low lights on when switched to the high position.

I haven't googled it, but does anyone know of a good write up detailing the proper wiring for to keep all 4 lights on when the brights are on?

I just order 2 kits right? One for hi and one for low.

Thanks for the enLIGHTenment fellas! LOL
You have a 2000 Silverado right? Take the ground wire from the driver's side low beam and connect/tap it directly to ground. The low beams will now stay on with the high beams.

And yes each kit should contain 2 lights and 2 ballasts with related wiring.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
You have a 2000 Silverado right? Take the ground wire from the driver's side low beam and connect/tap it directly to ground. The low beams will now stay on with the high beams.

And yes each kit should contain 2 lights and 2 ballasts with related wiring.
Dude that's it?!? That effin rules!

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Charlie Murphy!

I've done some searching around and found specific instructions for the headlight mod. This is for 99-02 only.

4 headlight mod

1) Open hood

2) Remove brace from firewall to Driver's side fender.

3) Remove top of Circuit panel

4) Unhook the snaps from the passenger and drivers side of the cover...look hard they are there!

5) Roll entire circuit board over towards the passenger side.

6) Locate the Grey connector...there is only one.

7) at location D3 (3rd down 4th to the right) is a light gauge yellow wire. It is the only yellow wire in this row.

8) Tap this wire and ground it to the Light ground on the firewall. Follow the lead from the Hood mounted light, and you will find it ...just to the left (YOUR OTHER LEFT!!!) of the Master Cylinder.

9) Put your stuff back together...you are done...arent you glad you kept that cover?*

Enjoy your new quad headlights!
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I just did this tonight and thought I would add that you don't have to ground to the ground for the hood light. There is a bolt directly below the wire in the electrical box that works just fine. Only need about a 8" wire to hook it up there. Much easier.
4 headlight mod - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

When I do the mod I'll take plenty of pics and post them on the Charlie Murphy website.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Last edited by iregret; 10-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SC6PT0
I have 8K from DDM on both fogs and lows. Just make sure you get their harness so that you don't get any flickering or the one eye closed look on start up.
dont have any problems with the flickering or closed eye look on mine without the harness
Originally Posted by ak2007r6
I know quite a few people with DDM that have had good results. I have fogs, lows and highs from Kryptonbulbs.com HID kits, Blue Headlights, Quality Products that have worked great for the year I have had them.

I have heard that the problem with 55w is they get pretty warm and can cause problems with the wiring. My personal experience is 35w is plenty bright.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFxZNQxn30]HID Kit for 2011 GMC Sierra Startup (Kryptonbulbs HID's) - YouTube[/url
yeah 35w is the way to go, my friend thought he would be "cool" and buy 55w for his lows, and gets flashed all the time. i got 35w lows and never been flashed
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Yeah that's why I decided to go with the 35w hi and low. Then do the 4 wire mod for really bright hi beams.

Also, I think I'm going to go with the 4500 low beams and the 6000 hi beams. That way low beams will look similar to halogens.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd recomend 55w highs, i love them and they lightup for about 1/4 mile

i love my 5k's for lows pretty much pure white, 6ks are for the 55w highs

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/a...o/10-7-112.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by SC6PT0
My 2000 still had issues with them flickering and or having not one turn on after the initial startup.. Why I recommended the harness. Better to get it over and out of the way instead of dealing with your lights not working right.

Install is easy enought, just remember to reverse the polarity on the lights with the DDM kits. They are backwards on our trucks. Once you get your lights we can help you out install them if necessary.

Harness link:

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning
So do I need one harness? Or one for each set? (2 harnesses total)

Thanks!

Quick Reply: DDM HID headlights the way to go?