Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

The Dual Flash PCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
This is very interesting. I like the idea. So, using HPT, how many credits would I use to have 4 different tunes on the PCM? Just 2?
Well for one thing, with HPT you couldn't have 4 tunes, just 2. HPT doesn't have a COS with a switchable set of parameters like EFILive's COS5 has.

But for the other part of the question of how it would be licensed with HPT, I don't know. I have put the question in with EFILive to see how it is handled with them, but for me personal, it doesn't matter because I have unlimited LS1 PCM licensing, with both the LS1A and LS1B streams
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I am sure some will knock Superchips because they dont sell it.....

Regardless,all the tuning software starts and ends at the same place.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by broke1
I already have that capibility...well,almost,I have 3 tune files to swicth between.

Its called a Superchips x3.

I know some hear Superchips and cringe thinking its all generic crap tunes but they are not.They are 100% custom and as long as the tuner knows what he is doing,it is no different than tunes using HP tuners,Efi Live,etc,etc.

Not to mention I paid less than most are paying for mail order tunes....and i have the ability to change tunes without sending ecm's out.Also has the ability to datalog(although ive heard from my tuner the dataloging isnt the best)read and clear trouble codes,and ALOT more!!

So why spend all that money when there is somthing already out there that does the same things,does it without pulling the ecm apart,and does it cheaper?

Also,lets say one just HATES Superchips tuning programs....You can tune with HP Tuners,Efi Live,etc,etc and then burn the tune to your x3 hand held and then make your other custom tunes and repeat.Not to mention,since a hand held is self contained,there is only a TINY chance the end user could mess it up.Most people shouldnt be working on cars and for most,going into the ecm,even though it is super simple,is probably out of there realm.
And I am sure some will knock Superchips because they dont sell it.....

Regardless,all the tuning software starts and ends at the same place.
I'm not bashing SCT X3, but aren't they around $380-$400, and don't you still need their program (or have a tuner with it whom you would probably have to pay) or EFILIVE/HPT to put programs on them? Not really cheaper I would say...

FWIW, EFILive V2 and soon to be released Autocal units will do the same thing as X3, only ALOT better with much more then 3 tunes. This is just something cool I came across that would give the average Joe a way to have 2 COMPLETE and separate tunes on 1 PCM available with just turning the vehicle off, flipping a switch and firing it back up

Last edited by kbracing96; 12-10-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm not bashing SCT X3, but aren't they around $380-$400, and don't you still need thier program (or have a tuner with it) or EFILIVE/HPT to put programs on them? Not really cheaper I would say...

FWIW, EFILive V2 and soon to be released Autocal units will do the same thing as X3, only ALOT better with much more then 3 tunes. This is just something cool I came across that would give the average Joe a way to have 2 COMPLETE and separate tunes on 1 PCM available with just turning the vehicle off, flipping a switch and firing it back up
$380.What does Black Be
Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

$380.What does Black Be
A tune from Black Bear is $175 currently!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Launching!

This is really cool. I love the idea

I assume you would need to license the chips separately? Or not because they would share the same VIN?

Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 12-10-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
This is really cool. I love the idea

I assume you would need to license the chips separately? Or not because they would share the same VIN?
Ok, I asked the licensing question to the EFILive guys and this is the response I got.

Originally Posted by Blacky
We discussed this issue with Omnituner (and Moates) a month or two ago.

It requires a little planning ahead and involves you letting them know what the serial number is in your PCM. Then they will pre-flash the two switchable flash banks with a binary image that has the same serial number as your PCM before shipping it to you.

Then you can tune them both with the same FlashScan license that you used on your PCM.

Regards
Paul

So, if you already have a PCM licensed that you want to install one of these chip set on, you can let Moates know what your PCM's serial number is and they will Flash a binary Image with that SN to both chips and you will not have to re-license.

If you just bought a PCM with one of these already installed, then both chips will have the random SN flashed to them requiring only one licenses to be used to tune it, just like if it was a second PCM you had bought for tuning.

I imagine it would work the same way with HPT, but you should check to be sure.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Ok, I asked the licensing question to the EFILive guys and this is the response I got.

So, if you already have a PCM licensed that you want to install one of these chip set on, you can let Moates know what your PCM's serial number is and they will Flash a binary Image with that SN to both chips and you will not have to re-license.

If you just bought a PCM with one of these already installed, then both chips will have the random SN flashed to them requiring only one licenses to be used to tune it, just like if it was a second PCM you had bought for tuning.

I imagine it would work the same way with HPT, but you should check to be sure.

For the hptuners users around here I am going to shoot Bill an email over at hptuners and ask him about the licensing for this setup.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

$380.What does Black Be
Yeah. You can get one from Frost or Wheatley for $225. Too much money for the Superchips if you ask me.

Quick Reply: The Dual Flash PCM