Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

E85 Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts
Default E85 Worksheet

I discovered there was a single gas station with e85 in town so I decided to put some in the tank for that little safety factor. Driving home changing nothing I was about 10% lean. In theory if you tell the PCM what the real stoich is everything else should be fine since PE, and BE values are based on the stoich value (those numbers are actually desired equivalence ratio, fyi). So if you know the new stoich everything is fine, but how do you know if you dont fill completely up with e85 all the time?

I made this worksheet assuming a few things:
1.) You know the current stoich value of your fuel. If you dont you can use your wideband or trims to find out. When the fuel trims stabilize, you are at lambda=1 (stoich), so whatever your wideband reads at this value is your stoich afr. Using my worksheet you can approximate the percentage of e85 is in your tank.

2.) I use premium 93 which is advertised as having up to 10% ethanol content. I find it is actually about 5% based on what my trims and wideband tell me, so this is what I called normal gas.

3.) You fill your tank completely up when you go to the gas station. It can be a combination of gas and e85, but the total you add can not be more than your defined tank volume. I didnt put in an error trap, so dont put in wrong values!

4.) Thinking in terms of lambda makes everything much simpler, especially when you are not using a pure fuel. Luckily, gasoline and e85 make max safe FI power around lambda = 0.75, but you can change this as you like. I figured most guys using E85 are FI anyway. Lambda = AFR divided by the Stoich AFR. So Lambda=0.75=(11.025/14.7).

5.) The idea with this worksheet is you update and save it every time you fill up, since I assume you have your laptop with you and can easily change the stoich value in the tune at the same time so the tuning is close. You also need to input the previous stoich value (unless you run the tank 100% dry) so it can properly calculate your new stoich based on what you added and what was already in the tank. If you do not do your own tuning (EFI Live or HPT), this wont be much use to you as you can't immediately change your tune. It will also not be as much use if you always fill up with e85. Also, if your truck is "flex-fuel" it has a sensor in the tank that detects the alcohol content and adjust to a different stoich point automatically.

I havent tried it yet but the math should work out. Let me know if anyone finds it useful
Attached Files
File Type: zip
e85 worksheet.zip (9.1 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Atomic; 04-10-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Better not try and charge money for this tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 AM
I have a gauge for that

Anyone that can read a schematic can hook up a relay properly....anyone that can do algebra can make the above worksheet
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a gauge for that

Just tested this out and my WOT fueling error went from ~10% to ~0.2% with nothing changed besides the calculated stoich point.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Mod with training wheels

Mine was a little rich, but probably because of the error with not using it the first time lol. I'm sure starting from scratch it would be perfect.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a gauge for that

If you figure out what your current stoich is based on your narrowbands you can approximate pretty closely what your current percentage is based on that reference table in the sheet. Also knowing the stoich of "gas" in your area. If you change that value in the sheet everything will be correct since that cell is referenced.

Trims also went from around 10% to around 0%, and injector duty cycle went up ~5% so I know its injecting more fuel.

The value of this spreadsheet is really in the 3rd or 4th tanks after adding either gas or e85 to whatever is currently in the tank. The first time is easy to calculate by hand, after that it gets more complicated.

A little disappointed it didnt a better reception from the locals :/
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Mod with training wheels

My O2s have been on the fritz for a while, so I am currently running open loop. If I ever get that far enough down my gnarly laundry list of **** to do on this truck, I will fix them.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How are you calculating the new stoich with your wideband? Run in open loop and do the math on the error between the previous actual ratio in open loop and the new one with the E85? Do you have your gauge display lambda units as opposed to AFR? Seems like using 14.7 for blends of E85 can be confusing.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this work for a 2 bar speed density tune?
And what about adding 20% straight methanol to 93? Just use the stoich for meth in the equation?

Quick Reply: E85 Worksheet